Which gps/map

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Any recommendations on a gps map, whats the best system thats not too expensive?

Gps

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Terry,
Was looking at the pictures on Luke's site. I take it that Garmin is not a "map". You will pick up a b/w gps quite cheaply ex. UK. Have a look at http://www.redcar-fish.co.uk/ They are a helpful crowd and they will deal if they can.
If it's a colour unit you're looking for, its hard to look beyond the 172C. Got one ourselves recently and its a super item. It's got a compact screen which will not clutter your console. Be prepared though if you get a colour gps you will end up getting a colour sounder as to look at b/w after colour is a disaster!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi jim
no the garmin is not the map type. On your recommendation ill go for a 172c but do i need to buy a map chip?
ive heard you can buy blank ones and buy a cd-rom and transfer the maps you want is this true?

Thanks for the reply
Terry

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:43 am

the 172c is fantastic........and also can be used with a tranducer (optional) as a fishfinder......small blue chip available for your area from any chandelry............. bought mine online from marine super store.......competitive price and their "free uk delivery" also covers ireland....mine arrived SDS.....no charge