Evinrude age inquiry

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 am

Some years back I bought a 5hp Evinrude and upon buying it the seller told me that it used leaded petrol and so I have to put an additive every time I fill the tank, My brother-law has just bought a similar engine.
what is the best way to find out if it also requires the lead additive, is there some site we can put the serial number into to find similar information like year of manufacture etc

Re: Evinrude age inquiry

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:58 am

try logging on to marine .com they have an evinrude data base

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 pm

Your a star, got it thanks ....

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 pm

That's ill informed advice from your seller/friend.
Use ordinary unleaded.
The reason lead was originally added into automobile engines because they use straight petrol, a "dry" fuel, and lead is a cheap lubricant.

Two stroke outboards are completely different, running on high rpm that would kill a car angine.
Its not the petrol that lubricates our 2-stroke cylinders, it's oil. For two strokes we add oil to the petrol, 50:1( or 100:1 if you live dangerously and follow the instructions), and it's the quality of the oil you put in the petrol that matters.
TCW3 only.

If you use lead replacement petrol, it will just make a lot of white smoke, why would you want to be breathing that if you don't have to?

The four-stroke outboards are more similar to auto engines, in that the oil goes in separate from to the petrol, and it's cycled to use over and over, but they too are designed for ordinary unleaded petrol as the fuel.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 am

aye lead has no place in 2stroke lube , TCW3 as i understand it is for 2stroke watercooled engines what about aircooled , ??