Best small new outboard?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm usually a lurker on here - my very amateur angling efforts are nothing to write home about - but I respect the opinions and the quality of the info offered in general so I wanted to pick a few brains if possible. My 2HP Honda 4-stroke no longer has the reliability I need after 15 years, and anyway I fancy something with a clutch. Max 4HP, pref 2-3, must have integral fuel tank. I will only buy new for peace of mind (in a stiff offshore breeze, next stop from SW Cork is Spain, if you're lucky...). I'd be interested to hear any recent experience and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Re: Best small new outboard?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:43 pm

You have quite a few options. I can only comment on Tohatsu as I bought a 4 stroke 5hp recently. The smaller models are excellent and meet all your requirements. I've used mine in fresh and salt water. One service and it still starts every time. The 4hp do have internal tank.

Tohatsu make the engine for Mercury and a few others up to 10hp and the Tohatsua are a wee bit cheaper as well.

Good luck,

Kev

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 pm

If your old Honda never let you down during all that time, should you let anyone dissuade you from buying a new Honda?

I would suggest either a new Honda or a Yamaha for the size you mentioned.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm shortlisting Honda (though I read differing views on centrifugal clutch) Suzuki, yam, tohatsu. I have a Yamaha Malta that is giving great service, but it's on a different boat. I'd buy another of them if I could. I hear the 4-stroke yam isn't quite the motor the malta is/was. Maybe the question should be "which outboards would you avoid like the plague?"...

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:02 pm

I had a 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha a few years ago brilliant little engine I thought it was very quite and was reasonable priced as well.

Maurice

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 am

:D a thing to bear in mind with intergal tank is theft :evil: :evil: remote tank theft needs a bit more planning..... though saying that if the c...s want it :cry:

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Honda. Definitely. Ultra reliable.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm

i have a 2.5 yamaha 4 stroke
brilliant engine