ADVICE ON OKNEY BOATS PLEASE

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 am

Hi, i am going to buy a orkney boat 16ft to be precise, im after a longliner, strikeliner or fastliner, im am looking some advice on the differences on these different types as they all look similar, is one better than the other etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: ADVICE ON OKNEY BOATS PLEASE

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:22 am

Hold fast there are a few previously and present owners of Orkneys on the site.
When they wake up they the will add their comments

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 am

I used to own a Longliner. Loved it. Basic, but re-assuring in a "gets you there and takes you home again" kind of way, if you don't do anything stupid.

Currently getting a 16 foot Fastliner ready for the water, so in about 10 days time I'll be able to give you a comparison.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:11 pm

donal domeney wrote:Hold fast there are a few previously and present owners of Orkneys on the site.
When they wake up they the will add their comments

Consider me woken up :lol:

Love my longliner. As Tanglerat says, always feel safe in them, sturdy little things that will take a little bit of weather if you get caught out. Main problem is speed, as with a displacement hull it only manages 8/9mph with a 15hp on it. Have been out on petekds old one, which you could get a bit more out of as it had no cuddy etc.
I have cuddy on mine, fine for a bit of shelter, but limits fishing space a little and you have to look over it to see where you are going, but on balance I prefer having it.
Having said I love my longliner, I'd still like to swap it for a faster boat, as a lot of the places I want to get to are a bit out and it takes a while if I am hopping between marks, but still a great boat, and while I scheme for a faster one, I am more than happy with the longliner.

No idea what its like in the other two, but I think they both have planing hulls so will go faster and are rated for bigger engines?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:13 pm

i went and looked at a 16ft fastliner with a cuddy last evening in skerries, but the hull and keel had been damaged by the trailer, so steered clear of it, plus it had no engine. I am going to look at a 16ft longliner in donegal this weekend, looks a good clean boat, not very old and good 4 stroke engine with it, so looks like being the one, the only down is, no cuddy, i know you can buy one, not sure on cost, think it would be handy for a bit of shelter on a blowy day.