any experience of Porta-bote ?

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 am

I'm looking for a boat which I can get in/out of normally inaccessible places eg off-road lochs , and which would also be ok for sheltered inshore waters . Not asking much , eh ?
Don't fancy an RIB but have come across literature about "Porta-bote" - foldable and just about light enough to carry on own . Seemingly a basic but high speed fishing platform which is v stable , virtually indestructable and unsinkable . Sounds almost too good to be true . Has anyone had any hands-on experience of these ?
Many thanks .
Nick/

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Been wanting one for a very long time. They look like to dogs alright. I got a nice look at one at the Angling show in Dublin. I was looking at the 12 foot model which by the sounds of it would be the one you are interested in. The hull does flex quite a bit. But I'm told that you get used to it. It can be handeled by one person but would take a little time to get in and out of the water. They are expensive over here though when compared to the US. Even allowing for some profit the prices are mad. They are listed on the net @ [url=http://www.cabelas.com]cabelas[/url] for about $1300. They are being listed in Ireland for €2500+ That's some difference. Might be worth chatting to cabelas and see what the cost would be ground shipping to Ireland. Remember you will be hit with about €180 import duty as well. If you get an answer please post here as I might be interested myself.

Kev

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:11 am

Thanks , Kev , I'll check that out and let you know what I find .
One thing that bothers me is that if they're so great and have been on the mkt for 25 years how come I'd never heard of them . Never took a huge interest in boats generally ( was happy with my 16 ft Orkney ) but read enough ads in boat angling mags etc over the years .
We'll see . Keep in touch .
Nick

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:03 am

USA isn't remotely interested in shipping one-offs to here . Kev - I'll send you a pm . Save boring everyone else .
Nick/

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:07 am

sent pm but have reason to think you may not have got it . Let me know if not & I'll post here .
Nick