Advice on a boat

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:23 pm

Lo all.
I was wondering if I could get some advice from ye on what kind of a boat to buy. I've not owned one before but I have the use of a friends one when I want it.
The boat would be based mostly on the Shannon Estuary with the posibilities of heading along some of the Kerry or Clare coasts. Would also be looking for something that could be easily taken from the water and taken to dingy competitions.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Eoin

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:35 pm

Go to Luke Scully's site he has a run down on different boats and how much you should pay:

http://www.fishingchannel9.com/

boat

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:38 am

Hi ENoonan

Look at a 14 to 16 footer for ease of release off a trailer. Make sure you have a winch and you can do it yourself, although I would never advocate fishing solo never mind releasing or bringing a bot out on your own.

All trailers have to be braked now. Lots of good brands around, with lots of choices. For sea fishing look with something with a deep V hull for stability or a cathedral hull, avoid a dory or semi-planing hull unless you like it bumpy.

Had an old OSM Darragh which had a forward cuddy and took a 10 HP Evinrude and a 1 HP Seagull for trips around Howth and Skerries in Dublin. Weather there is appreciable more sedate than weather on the west coast.

Would ensure you have VHF and done the course before heading out.

The boys on luke site will set you straight but they have some boats which are in the 20 K EURO bracket so be warned!!! :D

HTH

Re: boat

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:05 pm

kieran wrote:Hi ENoonan

All trailers have to be braked now.

HTH

Are there some regulations on this, mine's a 19' on a single axle roller coaster, no brakes though! i do use a Transit to tow with, do you know if this is legal?

Sean

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:12 am

Thanks all for the advice. Hopefully I will be able to pick something up soon.

Most appreciated

Eoin

trailers

Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:25 am

As far as i know trailers need to be braked if they are over a certain weight. not sure exactly what that is but small boats are definately ok. Kieran is quite right about brakes but I think that that only extends to UK law. They are very particular over there with boat licences and insurance etc. mandatory. Could happen here too soon if accidents continue... We did after all have the life jacket law there a while back after that tradgedy in Wexford. You are OK with your trailer. It is the guys with the Bayliners and Benateau's that need the brakes by law but then again they can aford them :P In my opinion there should be a boat check each year done on all craft and they should need to be registered just like a car. This way less mad hatters would get into sinking hulks and need help from drowning in the Liffey :roll: Seen a bunch of nutters in a small ancient speed boat last year nearly sink as a load of them got in and tried to start the engine. When they pulled it out on the trailer it fell to pieces and the boat was left lying on the slip!

Braked Trailers

Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:42 am

My understanding was that if the combined weight of the trailer+boat weighed more than 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle, then it needed to be a braked trailer.

braked trailers

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi

Braked trailers will become mandatory under an EU directive focusing on the leisure industry that has reputedly drawn extensively on the new far stricter regime introduced by the Irish authorities in the aftermath of the tragedy in Waterford Harbour. Not sure as the current legislation / requirements... if I were buying a boat (dream on!) then I would look to buy a braked trailer from a safety much less regulatory perspective. Better safe than sorry etc.

HTH...