Draining my dory!

Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi, i recently purchased a 17 ft dory, which i'm very happy with. However, as its quite old i'm sure that there is some water contained within the foam inside the transom.

I have bought some drain plugs and intend to drain the boat at the end of the summer. Could you please give me a general outline of how i go about this, and some do's and dont's!! Thanks, Joe.

Re: Draining my dory!

Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 pm

I had a 13ft dell quay dory which had taken on water.The last owner had cut out a storage compartment and had not sealed it properly.I drilled three holes in the lower tramson and hoisted the front of the boat around eight feet in the air.After around three days a very small puddle appeared and the the hull was sweating.I left the boat like this for about a week.I then decided to rent a large kerosen air blow heater.I turned the boat over so that the tramson was now in the air and deck facing the ground.I left the heater on facing it for three days.When i moved the boat i could feel that the hull was much lighter.When i put the boat in the water it was sitting much higher and was reaching higher speeds.I hope that was some help.

Re: Draining my dory!

Sun May 31, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks dempster, its that extra bit of speed that i'm after! Cheers.