problem with 5hp aux outboard

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:03 pm

Howeya lads

I have a problem, i dug out my little 5hp Yami 2stroke outboard from the back of the shed, to use as an aux engine on my boat.

The engine is fine, starts well, works in foward and reverse etc... but its not taking in water to cool itself.

Im sure this is quite a common problem with outboards so im just wondering if there is any advice or simple checks i should do before i have to get a mechanic to have a look, im thinking there could be a blockage in the shaft or a faulty water pump?

Any advice would be very helpfull, thanks

Re: problem with 5hp aux outboard

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 pm

sounds like you either have a blockage (salt build up) or an impeller problem, you could try flushing out the water intake with warm water if that doesn't work i think you will need to split the engine and check the impeller. this would be better done by a professional. it shouldn't cost that much to do either.

PS don't run the engine when your flushing it .... no water no cooling ............. then no engine.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 pm

Hey Nialler,

Sounds like the impeller is broken or stuck. There may also be some salt deposits blocking the pi$$er hole. Try unblocking the hole with some 150lb mono. Changing the impeller is a handy job if your ok with the tools. There should be something out there in google land that might point you in the right direction.

If your any way worried at all, a Marine Mechanic should be able to do it no hassle.

Kev

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 am

are you running it in a bucket to test it? if so it could take forever for a small engine to heat
up enough for the cooling to kick in, maybe it will work ok when tested under load

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey John,

Small 2 strokes should start pumping water nearly straight away. The water flow might be a little light at idle, but if you give a little rev the flow should increase.

Kev

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:26 pm

I have a 4hp Yam which is pretty much the same. It had ur symptoms. If the engine is put away after a run in salt water without being flushed a couple of times then the water dries out leaving salt clogging up the impeller. Get youself this months Sea Angler magazine which covers the procedure to fix it on a Mariner which is also the same :D

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:30 pm

hi kev did you go to SA in the end? I don't know much about this but i thought it was important
not to send cooling water to the powerhead until it is warm enough, otherwise major carbon
build up etc. Maybe some models still give a tell tale stream but maybe some don't show a stream
until the thermostat switches it on? i'm only guessing here

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey John,

I went towards the End of Feb. Didn't get as much fishing in as I wanted, but had some ok fishing. Managed a 34 - 36lb smooth Hound. Really nice fish and they fight well.

As for the little 2 strokes. No Thermostats on those guys. The Impeller just runs with the engine revs....

We must hook up for some fishing soon.

Kev