Brake protection.... Wurth every cent

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Hey All,

I think I have found a cracking product that might help us all with our trailer brake protection.

I recently went into the Wurth shop in Finglas, Dublin recently looking for some Wurth HSS 2000 oil spray for some odd jobs around the trailer. The HSS 2000 is sprays like WD40, but dries to leave a protective oil barrier that can be handy for exposed outboard parts and some trailer parts. While in the shop I came across a few cans of AL 1100 on the top shelf. This is an Alluminium & Copper based adhesive spray. It is especially developed for brake shoes and hubs and has an anti corrosive element to it as well.

Here is a link to the data sheet

http://www.wurthdirect.co.uk/catalogue/ ... 5_0025.pdf

There seems to be more info on the tin. I'll add to this post with this info later.

Anyway the stuff is good to 1100 celcius and really adhears to the shoes and springs. I have had the stuff a couple of week, but only managed to get a single wheel sorted. I hope to the other one done over the weekend.

Here are a few pics of the break service.

You can see there is quite a bit of rust on the brake pads and springs. I always wash my hubs down after each dunking, so I was surprised to see this much rust.

Here is half of the brake shoes cleaned and sprayed. You can see the difference. The AL 1100 is very wet when first coated, but quickly starts to dry and feel like a tacky paint.

Here is the complete assembly cleaned and sprayed and waiting to go back onto hubs.

Here is the hub assembly after being cleaned. I gave this a coating as well, but the hands were a bit too messy to pick up the camera again. I've only just got the stuff off the buttons. :)

I will keep you guys updated as to how I get on with this stuff, but on first impressions it really looks the business.

Kev

Re: Brake protection.... Wurth every cent

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Damn brakes eh Kev! :roll:

14 months now since I fit new shoes and superseals, so I was not that impressed when I opened them up to see this today

hub1.JPG

Not really sure why the grease has leaked, the new rear seals I fitted didn't look to bad really, I didn't get them from indespension, but looking on there site now the packaging was identical, only thing I have just thought of that could be the cause of the escaping grease is maybe I didn't get much pressure up after assembly, I usually just fill the hubs and bearings with grease and put it back together, maybe the pumping grease into the spring cup keeps that rear seal pushed onto the shaft and keeps a better seal :?:

Damn shoes are going to need replacing as well, maybe it's the terrain down here but they haven't a lot of lining left on, at least they are still bonded ok, I just used the old grease from the hubs to coat the backplate, they really have kept well, but then again I keep it well out when launching and when it does get a bit wet I've been using that hubflush I fitted last year before heading home, that's definitely where I went wrong before, I was jetting the hose into the back of the hubs when washing down and they got left wet, next trip out rusty as buggery, at least now by the time I get home the hubs are well dryed out.

Just doing the bowden cables as well, a wash out with petrol and get some grease in (again old blue grease thinned with petrol) I reckon as long as they are running free and the brakes are not binding, the hubs don't get to hot really, no signs
at all of the grease melting from the backplate or the coating I put on the shoes (probably won't bother doing those in future, they don't last long enough)

hubrear.JPG

No more rust than last time I was in there
hubcleaned.JPG

Was determined to do that job inside!!! :lol: Damn doors not wide enough!

axle.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 pm

That wurth stuff looks much the same as copper grease, which most garages would use for brake pads etc, use it myself when replacing pads etc..and not much use against the salt water... tried it on my trailer, stick with the a good quality grease well packed..

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey Mart,

I wouldn't use the wurth stuff in the bearing. I use the AL1100 for coating the backplate springs and such. If it does half of what it says on the tin I will be impressed.

Kev

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Aye well there stuff is pretty good most of the time, It might do the job for you..I used to get some stuff of them was very sticky almost like a spray grease..It was great for lots of different uses, cant remember what it was, but If i remember will let you know.. :wink:

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 am

I use Motorcycle 'chain spray', which is a bit cheaper but does the same job. 8)