New 4m Rib but which outboard???

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 pm

I have just bought a 4 metre solid floor rib with the intention of fishing some small bays and just out of harbours in the Waterford area.

What I am looking for is advice on an outboard engine, the rib can take upto a 30hp but as I will be bringing the boat in the car and not trailer size and weight will restrict my choice was thinking of a 4hp 4stroke would this be powerful enough. My price range I guess is around 600 euro.

Also what would be the advantage of the 4stroke over the 2stroke other than the emissions etc.

Re: New 4m Rib but which outboard???

Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi Evan

I fish the English and Welsh and Irish coasts on shallow reefs etc using either a 3.1M rib or a 3.1M m airfloor inflatable for bass. As you describe the boat as packable in the car I assume you are not talking about a true rib but on with a wood/ air or solid floor you assemble/ inflate?

I guess with your craft of 4 m, if you want to be able to get onto a plane 4 hp is not going to cut it (it does not quite get a light 3.1 m craft onto a plane). As weight is a consideration you definately should consider 2 stroke as they are lighter. The downside of 2 strokes are poorer fuel economy, more noise, and arguably poorer reliability. There are also regulations now restricting the type of 2 stoke you can sell new, and the newer models are more complicated (heavier) and more expensive.

You deffinately want reliability out there! Perhaps a 2 stroke about 2 years old of the old style of known providence (ie well maintained / little used) would bring low weight and reliability. If you are launching from a slip or somewhere you are parked next to the launch site then bigger engines are options - especially if you get yourself a little outboard trolley to move the engine. It also depends how old / fit / strong you are. I use Yamaha 8 hp 2 strokes as: a) they are very reliable b) they are light for the power output. The only better option for weight to power is the 2 stroke tohatsu 9.8hp (not the 9.9 as it’s a different engine design and much heavier). I on occasions have to lug my engines a hundred yards or more over rock shoreline to launch in very inaccessible areas of coast and its tiring!

I would borrow an engine before you buy to see if the HP you are going to buy is ok for your needs.

Good luck

Matt

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply yeah the rib has a solid floor you put in place when inflating and has an inflatable keel. I was thinking 4hp may be a bit weak so will keep my eye out for a slightly bigger engine, as for the two stroke I guess this is something I will have to seriously think about there seems to be a bit of a jump in price alright but like you say cant take any chances out there!

With two strokes do you have to premix the fuel or how does that work, my only other experience with two strokes was mopeds a few years back.

A trolley may also be a consideration for an engine, how does your rib bear up on the sea they seem fairly stable and just wondering how you have got on?

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Unless you are opting for bigger (probably non portable) 2 stroke outboards you pre-mix fuel. Yamahas are 100 to 1 (fuel to oil) rather than the normal 50:1 so I guess it saves a few euros over the years. Mixing is very easily done

My Bombard RIB (and airfloor Zodiac) are realy stable. No danger of sinking and they self bail. They are somewhat different to a heavier solid boat as they ride over the waves in general rather than through them. You do want to be as waterproof as possible as you get a bit of a soaking at times when heading into chop and moving slowly (you can shift your weight or trim the engine accordingly to keep the nose up when running slowly to avoid this). I (rightly or wrongly) wear breathable chest waders, a wading belt and a jacket made of the same material as the chesties with a boyancy aid - all of which leave me bone dry even in a monsoon. You dont sink if you fill the waders up with water despite the urban myth that you do (is the water in your waders heavier than the water in the surrounding sea?). I do however always have a pair of braid scisors on the front of my jacket I could use to puncture the legs of the waders if needing to let water out before clambering up rocks in an emergency or even air out in the unlikely event i was stuck upside down with air trapped in the legs of the waders....but I digress.

I have been fishing plugs or occasionally flies over shallow ground for quite a few years now, but it took much experience (and a few bits of bad judgement) to reach my current level of understanding. I would not recomend you go out on anything but the flatest open sea until you have built up condfidence in the boat. Always plan for the worst case scenarios. Anchors and over 50 m of rope are essential, as if the engine fails (mine never has) the boat can shift at a hell of a pace in an offshore wind. Also VHF as well as mobile and flare packs are all essential to ensure you dont spend a night (or more) out at sea.

Sorry to bang on about safety but one thing its easy to do from a rib/ inflatable is fall out (compared to boats with bigger gunnells). Always conect the kill cord to your person and go with a friend.

Hope it brings you much fun and many fish

Bass wishes

Matt

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:38 am

Excellent Post and Advice Matt.

Kev

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 am

Agreed !!!

Very well written Matt !!!