Keel Guards

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:37 am

I'm looking for a Keel Guard for an Explorer Elite.

I've got weird looks in some marine shops when I ask them... :shock:
Its basically like a strip of re-inforced untearable rubber, which you stick down along your keel and protects the Hull from scrape damage (see: keelguard.com/keelguard.html).

They appear very expensive, and I was quoted for one from the UK for about €600...

Just wondering has anyone come across them anywhere in Ireland, and at a cheaper price maybe?
(I'm always scraping my keel off the slip!!
:roll: )

Thanks.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Have you emailed that company. Their keel guard seems to roll up, so they might be able to pop it in a box and post it. With the Dollar they way it is, it should work out at a decent price.

Kev

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm

and maybe try ebay UK and US.

Keel guard

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:33 am

My experience is that this is a great product. Expensive but well worth it. Purchased mine from Redbay Boats Cushendall. Think it cost about 120 sterling.
Whilst it is easy to fit, good preparation is essential.

P

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm

Security Man,

Get alloy strips from B&Q 2m length x 15mm wide x 2mm deep, £3 a strip. I put one on the Seahog, season and a half ago, and used sikaflex to secure it. No need to drill holes. Brilliant, its still there and does a great job. And has not coroded at all.

I only put it on the front 2 metres of the hogs keel, as the lads at seahog said if you are using a slipway then it is only the front of the boat that is in danger of getting scored.

Cheap as chips and does a bloody good job. I seriously advise you to look at this option before shelling out big money unnecessarily. If you have any questions about it just ask mate.

Cheers,
Trev

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Sounds like a decent option Trev... Any pics mate?

Kev

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Mac,

Here are some pics of one of the strips I had left over. Unfortunately I have no pictures of it bonded to the hull just yet. But trust me Sikaflex is the job for bonding it.

If attaching to the front of the hull use a file and file the tip of the strip into a 'U' shape.

Cheers,
Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by trevt on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Actually Mac,

this is a pic of the boat with it on. If you save this pic and then zoom in on the hull you might just see it on there. Its not a good pic, but it is on there mate.

Cheers,
Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Great idea, trevt....thanks.
Unfortunatley however, I ordered from the states before your post! :oops:
It was a 4ft strip for $105 incl. shipping, so it was a fair deal.
Sent UPS 2 days ago, so should have it tomorrow hopefully.

My explorer gets a lot of gyp on the slip, so it may not do the trick - might pick up some alloy strips anyhow as you suggested, as a 'back-up' - be no harm, especially if this stuff DOESN'T do what its supposed to...
Sure you couldn't go wrong with Alloy at that price. Its only the bottom front 2ft of my keel that gets it, so I wouldn't need a whole lot. Thanks for the suggestion.

On another issue you mentioned, (hoping not to go off topic here too much) :? ;
Silkaflex - I had a few tiny screw-holes in my transom from previous tranducers (previous owner) below the waterline. I had Silkaflex, but for some reason I packed the holes with ordinary sanitary silicone.
It 'doesn't appear' to be letting in water, but it's ALWAYS on the back of my mind: Will silicone do the biz, or is it going to eventually fall out? - Should I change it to Silkaflex or wait till the silicone comes off?
Thanks. :wink: :roll:

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:51 am

...Just missed the UPS man :cry:

His note says he has COD package from states for €39.50 - looks like my Keel-guard got nabbed by Customs!... :cry:

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Security Man,

The silicone should be ok. I'd leave it for now. If not broke don't fix mind set.

I managed to take a close up pic of the hull with the keel band fixed with sikaflex today.

Cheers,
Trev

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am

Cracking job Trev. Did you fit it all at once? or fit sections? I am wondering how difficult the alloy would be to keep pressed tight to the hull until the Silkaflex went off :?:

Kev

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Alright Kev,

That is just one 2 metre strip.
I applied the silkaflex directly to alloy strip. Then at one end I used some bricks and wood to hold it against the hull at one end and used my hand at the other. Occassionally moving my other hand up and down the strip applying pressure till she took hold. It took between 0.5 - 1 hours in total if I remember correctly.

Cheers,
Trev

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Very nicely done. I'd say the arms were a little sore after an hour..... That's another project on the todo list..... :D

Thanks again for the info Trev.

Kev

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:38 am

Just fitted the keelguard I ordered.....

What a flippin job! :shock:
Although the end result is great and it did exactly what it said it would do (if ya know what I mean!!).

Preparation is all-important, must sand-down and prepare the area first.
I cheated and marked the outline of the guard with a pencil, so I didn't sand unecessarily.
Then, clean it with Alcohol (no shortage of that :lol: ).
Apply the clear primer, which dries instantly.
5 mins later, apply the guard by peeling off the protective tape in stages.

Very difficult to do when lying under the trailer - especially trying to apply pressure. One things for sure (and it does warn you in the instructions), if you 'misplace' a bit or stick it accidentally in the wrong area, it ain't gonna come off without ripping. When its on, its on! - for good!
Its the stickiest stuff I've ever seen - even stickier than glue!

Anyways, its a good solid sealed bond now and I can't see it ripping under any sort of force as its extremely tough stuff. At least now I won't have to buy a tube of Gelcoat filler after each excursion..!! :D

Well worth the money IMO...
I'll post up a pic tomorrow.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted. Looking forward to the pics.

Kev

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Great stuff Security Man.
It sounds like a good job.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 am

Here's the pics....

[IMG:1024:768]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Garda_Siochana/P8120002.jpg[/img]

[IMG:1024:768]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Garda_Siochana/P8120001.jpg[/img]