removing trailer hubs

Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:28 pm

I want to grease the brakes. Never had a problem removing hubs before but the bearings are sealed on this trailer.

Removed the clip, spring and seal. However, there is little or no room to remove the split pin from the nut and cannot see how I could get a new one in. Presumably there is some trick for doing so. Any suggestions would be welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Stan

Those look like bearing protectors to me I had them on my indespension trailer. If you tap them with a hammer from side to side they should come off then you can get at the nut to remove it.

Maurice

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

They are indeed Stan. These fit over the bearings. And Grease is pumped in behind them. This help prevent Water getting into the bearing. As Janie suggested a small tap side to side with a hammer should see them come loose.

SeanP done his recently and has a set of photos. I'm sure he'll post a link as soon as he see this message.

Kev

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Stan,
I did exactly the same as you first time except the circlip went flying never to be seen again :oops:
Like the lads say tap the tube side to side ideally with a nylon mallet pulling at the same time, I was at mine the other week replacing the superseal that goes at the rear of the hub on top of the rear bearing, there was some wear on that seal and had started to let some grease by they had done 2 years and a good few miles, it does a good job that seal when all is well but it's a pain when you just want to clean down the bearings and regrease, the only way I have found to get it out is use a socket to fit onto the inner part of the rear bearing and knock it though, the bowden cables are a source of trouble as well, keep those well oiled/greased, that's no easy job as well, I rigged up a pump up garden sprayer to pressurise some oil through a tube into the cable last time, used the same method to get grease right through the steering cable once as well :wink:

Hub removal

Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Thanks for all of the help lads.

I am going to make sure that the braking system is spotless and spray it with copper grease. I found this in B&Q and it is supposed to be fairly waterproof. It sprays out like oil from the can and then forms a film of grease. Lets hope that it does the trick. Report of progress to follow.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Stan I used Castrol Pyroplex blue grease for the bearings (looks the same grease as your pics) and it has kept the bearings like new for over 2 years now, mind you keeping the launch depth to the absolute minimum helps the most :wink: just touching the rim does for me.
I also used the same grease to coat all the workings and backplate, messy but it helped.
That copper grease sounds ideal for the cables.
There is a listing on ebay for some [url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-400g-cartridges-of-Castrol-Pyroplex-Blue-4x4_W0QQitemZ200197651478QQihZ010QQcategoryZ9886QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247]Here[/url]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hubs

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi Sean, Thanks.

The site is invaluable for matters like this.