Importing a boat

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:32 pm

Lads,

We've outgrown our current 15ft fishing boat and are looking to trade up. We've been checking out our options over here. Budget is €15k-€20k. We're looking at trophies and quicksilvers but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know what you think. I am interested in knowing if anyone has imported a boat from the US and what the situation is. On Apolloduck, there is an American company - Global Imports. Has anyone bought a boat from them or know of anyone that has?

Cheers,

Jay.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 am

I imported a Trophy through Global 5 (?) years ago. I went cheap and it was a bit of a dog - sound but tatty, and the engine had seen much better days. The guy isn't great to deal with. He prices the boats in Euro (or Sterling), so he's getting the benefit of the weak dollar. He will give out the names of people happy with the deal as references, but obviously not the unhappy ones.

If you look at the prices of boats on brokerage in the US, you will get a better idea of prices.

Many of Marks boats come with primitive (eg Force) 2 stk outboards or big petrol inboards - not many 4stk or diesel, so factor in fuel costs. Don't believe the hype about selling it at a profit after a season or two.

If you do go with Global, go for the best you can afford, since the price of shipping is the same for a good one as a bad one. Get lots ( and I mean loads! - close ups) of photos - especially of the engine, its mounts and the transom.

Haggle, and don't be pressurised into making his next shipment.

I think there is or was a company in Ireland that does the same thing but I can't remember the details

importing boat

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Now is the time to buy a boat from UK with low sterling prices. I brought my Raider 18 Fisherman in. The dealer even covered the cost of shipping. The boat was top spec .