charts

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:14 pm

hi guys is there anywhere i can have a look at charts online to get an idea of what the bottom of an area is???????

the depths

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:02 am

Hi

An area I have a deep interest in myself...

There are some very nice people in the marine dept in UCC at Haulbowline, one of which, Lee, is a member of this forum. They might be able to point you in the right direction. Another option is the marine institute http://www.marine.ie but they tend to be particular about what they release...

You find the most extraordinary things if you begin to dig, for example there is a lad with a complete side scan sonar image of Clew Bay... but he won't let me see it! No-one believes you when you say you want to catch fish!!!

Hope this helps....

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:16 am

what do they think ur gonna do with it? start drilling for oil?

Charts

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:34 am

I don't know of any sites on the net that give them up for free but to be honest, from a shore fishing perspective they would be of very little use to you. The distance you can cast and the detail of info given is of little consequence. The most accessable place to start looking is a chart plotter. The maps are all made up from existing charts. in a lot of cases the info from several charts are imalgumated onto the same map. These are very useful indeed and a much better fish locator if you know how to use it than any fish finder! Garmin currently use two systems. On eis the G chart memory cards that for ireland there are two. One covers the wes coast from Antrim rigt round to Hook head and the weast coast of Scotland and the other from Donegal right round to Kerry including the whole West coast of England and wales and the South West coast (English Channel) You can buy these memory cards or else you can buy blank cards and a map CD which has everything on it and allows you to plot the area onto your card you need as required from your PC. You may be able to do a print out from your PC from this but i am not sure.

Mapsource

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:56 pm

Yes you can print from Garmin's Mapsource. However the prints will be A4 so it would be difficult to get an overall view but fine for a small area of interest.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:42 pm

where can you buy the cd's and blank cards from

Charts etc.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:18 pm

Bazz,
The CD can be bought on line @ Garmin.com. The unlocking codes are quite expensive. If your unit allows you can upload without cards. I've not bought any blank cards but one of the lads bought them on line as well. As you probably know the cards can be bought preloaded with your area as well.

BTW what did you think of the picture?

Jim.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:20 pm

jim the picture was great thanks