Small Hole repair

Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Dear All,

I hope you can help me. We have just undercoated and antifouled our boat. We put it in the water in Skerries on Saturday and it was looking great and flying but we have two small holes in the hull. The holes are about 3mm - 4mm in size. What is the best way of repairing them? Straight forward gel coat filler? Or should I use fibre glass mat and fibreglass 2 part mixer or what?

Many thanks in advance,

Jay.

Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi Jay,

If the boats not letting water into the hull it could be just the gelcoat thats chipped, in that case use gelcoat filler. If water is getting into the hull then the fiberglass underneath the gelcoat is also damaged, your best bet is to use a fiberglass repair kit, and fiberglass on the inside and outside of the hull if possible, if you can't fiberglass on the inside try and pack the hole with fiberglass resin from outside as best you can. it all depends on where on the hull the hole is too. What type of boat is it? and how was it holed? best of luck with it anyway man! 8)

Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi Bracken,

The boat is a Seahog Hunter 15ft. The holes are on the right hand side of the boat, just where the boat sits on the rollers on the trailer. I can't get near the inside because the floor is sealed. I will be having a look tomorrow evening and hopefully I can get a repair done so I can get the boat in at the weekend. I might try the gel coat filler and if that doesn't work I will try a fibreglass repair.

Thanks for your help and I will let you know how I get on.

Jay.

Thu May 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Jay, I used gel coat filler just yesterday evening on the Orkney up around the line where the rubber strip fender was. Its not exactly the same white colour as the hull but looked fine after a wee touch of sand paper. Seems to have filled and sealed the holes perfectly