Fishfinder problems after layup

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi all

Hoping you can assist. I have a Garmin Fishfinder 160 which worked fine last time out in 2007.

However checking things over last weekend all other gadgets powered up and charging fine - but the fish finder would not. Its not taken a knock.

First thought were related to power - but since everything else is fine seems unlikely - but I need to confirm - I have a multimeter - any tips on what I should be looking for as power and link to transducer are in the same link !?

Garmin do not offer a repair service as its too old. Anyone know anyone who offers a repairs service?

Incidentally I was checking the web and found this link - have tried all the dealers I know - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=658 this would be handy to charge from the car !!

If I can't fix I might try US as am over there in June - anyone have good or bad luck with this route?

Cheers

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey there,

The 160 doesn't charge from what I can see. It just requires 12V off your battery. I'm guessing that the unit is just not getting power.

Test the voltage with your multimeter accross the red & black cable, before the fishfinder. If you have 12V there, try make off the connection again as it may have worked loose or there might be some oxidation if there is some copper cable there. If the unit is still not working try get the pin out details off the manual of the net. Test the voltage at the connector that connects to the back of the unit. If you have 12V there, you might have an internal problem with the unit.

The cost of repair, might actually be more that a second hand 160 off ebay.

Kevin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Sound advice from MAC, check your fuses also! 8)

Thu May 01, 2008 10:27 am

Ahh the fuses... :lol: That's the problem with being an engineer, you tend to get into detail before checking the obvious.

You heading out over the weekend Bracken?

Kev

Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Hey MAC,
Yeah headin' out on Monday hopefully, weather looks good!
you headin' out anywhere? :?:

Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Chomping at the bit to get out, but no plans yet.

Sunday looks like it might be ok.

Monday is looking a bit better though.

Still thinking what to do and where to go. I have a new plotter that I have to play with so even a jaunt around Howth might be on the cards, although, there doesn't seem to be much around howth at the moment.

Kev