Removing stickers from warrior 165

Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:42 pm

I eventually bit the bullet and picked up a second hand 165 at the weekend in England. Great looking boat and the engine was fully serviced and has had little use. I am in the process of doing a few jobs to her, including changing windows, changing electrics and servicing auxiliary. I also hope to change the name of her - i'm not superstitious, yet! My questions is what is the best way to remove the stickers from the boat without ruining paintwork etc. I also have a few stickers from the rear to remove and after picking at them for 10 minutes it would seem there must be an easier way. Any ideas from anyone that has tackled this type of job

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Try heating them with a hair dryer

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 pm

I have used a hot air gun to gently heat the stickers and soften the adhesive, worked for me. You can then use a solvent like Acetone (which does not affect the gell coat) to remove the adhesive residue. Don't overheat the gell coat. Good Luck with your new boat.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 pm

Yes, I'd agree with Donal, if they are vinyl adhesive stickers, heating them with a hairdryer softens the adhesive and should enable you to pull them off. I did same to my van last week and used an old plastic card to get purchase under the sticker and then peeled it off.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Hairdryer.... heat gun, might be a bit too hot.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Hairdryer it is then, i'll give it a go at the weekend, thanks fellas.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Borrow McGroarys Ciaran, he doesnt have much use for it these days.... :D

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 pm

petekd wrote:Borrow McGroarys Ciaran, he doesnt have much use for it these days.... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love it.

Congrats on the boat Ciaran. Post a pic up when you get the chance.

Kev

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:10 am

a heat gun and acetone will do the job just done it on our new boat and a small scraper...

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Ciaran best of luck with her, had a quick nosey when zooming through Gleneely the last time, looked the business :wink: Have used the hair dryer before but didn't find it particularly useful, still the old stickers i was removing may have been of a different variety :idea:

Fatty Davis.....that was a little uncalled for. Fair enough i might not have much use for a hair dryer but i'd still say you use one of those high powered girly ones for drying under your many flesh flaps.......indeed i'd say you probably use a fortune of talcum powder each year too...

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 pm

You should keep your "Fatty" jibes to the magazines where I have no way to respond. People who weigh more than you (EG Kate Moss, Posh Spice etc.....) are not necessarily fat.....!

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 am

Pete please tell me you aren't comparing yourself to Kate Moss and Posh!!!! I know your dress sense would put you in their category but lets face it, they are much more butch then you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 am

Petekd = Kate moss = posh Spice :!: :!: :?: :?: :idea: :idea:

I have it

Petekd = BIG GIRLS BLOUSE 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:58 pm

pour boiling water on to transfers will soften it so you will be able to peel it off

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:50 pm

The stickers were simple to remove with the hairdryer as suggested, thanks lads. I also got the windows changed in the boat at the weekend, one of those jobs that you just have to spend the time on. A few more small jobs and a few more purchases and i should be ready to get out and about.