engine price advice

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct topic for this, but closest I could see..

Anyway, despite going to service my old engine as per post a few days ago, I've now decided that it might be better to swap it out for something else (basically i have 2 stroke short shaft 30hp johnson 1999) when I should really have a 15hp long shaft for the longliner it is running.

I have seen a 4 stroke 15hp yamaha for 950euro, which sounds ok to me (well used but well looked after). I have been offered around 1100euro for my engine in trade in- do you guys think that is a fair enough price for it? (I am happy enough with the deal, but my father in law has an interest in the engine and thinks we could get more for it - so I said I'd check). Had a quick scout around the net, but haven't seen anything comparable, so any thoughts....

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:57 pm

If you sell your engine privately you could expect to add a couple of hundred yo yo's to it easy enough.

€950 sounds a bit too good to be true for the Yam.... Lovely little engine. How old it it? The older 4 strokes (5-6 years plus) used to suffer some vibration at full revs. That seems to have been sorted with the newer engines.

Kev

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:13 pm

That engine would never need to be at full revs, it makes little to no difference ( a knot or so), half throttle to full throttle on the wee orkneys with a 15 4stroke. Only thing it affects is fuel consumption!

Presume thats 950 with your old engine Lee?

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Guys,

It was €950 straight (from dealers with seasons warranty). It's a 2001 engine. They did say it was well used which I think accounts for the price. Basically i'd be doing a swap as I'd need to get a conversion kit for the yamaha to use with my remotes as well.
I don't want to spend too much money on it (if anything), but looking at it didn't think I was going to be any worse off than I am (and hopefully better off, with lower fuel consumption, right size engine and the ability to reverse properly!!).

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Snap it up and dont mind the FIL, they always know best....

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Sounds like you've made up your mind.... I'd haggle for the fitting of the YAM and remote kit to be included with your trade in.

Kev

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Yep, that was my idea to get the conversion kit as well, although didn't think about getting them to fit it.....
I thought it sounded an ok deal, so glad you guys think same. Cheers.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:37 pm

It's handy enough to fit, but you'll have to give it some thought. These guys do it all the time, so they'll have it sorted in no time. :wink:

Kev

engine

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:23 am

have you seen the engine pushing along a boat under full load?
seeing it tick over in a barrel doesn't tell you much. some guarantees
are genuine, some worthless in my experience

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 am

Hi John, no haven't seen it working properly and I take your point, but I'd be happy enough with the guarantee from the dealer. I've dealt with them before and any problem they have sorted out with no quibble, haven't heard any complaints from anyone else either. I'll make sure I have some comeback if there are problems though.
I'll see if I can arrange to see it in action first though....(hopefully this week)

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am

15 horses should be spot on for a Longliner.

Wed May 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi Lads,

Just to let you know, got the 15hp yamaha, my engine plus 250euros for it and new remotes etc.
It worked flawlessly. Slight drop in my top speed (hard to tell with wind and tide the way they were, but say 8.5mph instead of 10mph), but fuel efficiency way better. Also that long shaft means it's now a joy to come into pier with as I now have a reverse gear that works!!
I'll try shifting the weight around in the boat now and trimming the engine differently and see how that affects the top speed.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 pm

longshaft 15 is the ideal engine for your longliner just bought one recently with danny m cant wait to get it in the water,