Recommend A Decent Fish Finder

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I purchased an Ocqueteau 615 last year with a 90HP Mercury 4 stroke and want to fit a fish finder. Could somebody please recommend a decent make and model. I'd rather spend an extra few quid to get a unit that will do the business and ultimately help get me more fish !!

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 pm

fish finder in cork :shock:

the place is alive with fish :wink:
if you need a finder to catch more down there your in the wrong game.
you don't realize how spoiled you lads are down there :x

fish on the east coast and you will now all about trying to find fish. :lol: :lol:

finder

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Howya Finbarr,
Welcome to the forum. If you have a gps already you might want to get a finder by the same manufacturer. The menus will usually be similar (unless the model has been superseded). Other than that decide which size screen suits you (for flush of bracket mount). Look to the power output you would want 500 watt (RMS as distinct from peak to peak), this should give you good returns in all depths. A dual frequency transducer (50 or 100 Hz) is most popular, you’ll need to decide whether to “shoot thru” the hull or get a skimmer type t/ducer (skimmer is probably the easiest option). Most colour units now have good resolution but compare with others.

We use a FF250c by Garmin and love it. This has been replaced by a newer model at this stage. The Raymarine 500 is also popular, I didn’t like the feel of the menus.

Whatever manufacturer you decide on, make sure you get the specs right and you’ll get the best out of it. Remember though it will mainly show you ground and not fish. :D

side imaging

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:47 pm

jim,

what do you think about side imaging? might be good for finding wrecks?
don't know anyone that has one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sonar

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:07 am

Aye, side imaging, the ads certainly look great in the magazines! Not sure about them though, I don’t see me parting with cash a while yet! I remember H/bird brought out a 3D sounder a few years back, it seemed to be a bit of a fad. I wonder if the side scan will go the same way? I think I would like to see one in action.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Finbar,

I just recently installed the Raymarine DS500X. Very nice sounder with a 5 inch colour screen. Runs at about €600. The DS400X uses the same technology, but only has a 3.4 Inch colour screen. It has recently been discontinued so there are a few bargins out there for the 400X.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 am

looks the buisness