self servicing your outboard....

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Lads,

Thinking of servicing my outboard ('99 2 stroke 30hp Johnson pull start) this year. I have the service manual. It was running ok last year , but at the end of last season (think September was the last time I was out) the last few trips it cut out suddenly (just went dead, no coughing or spluttering) and wouldn't restart for about 15 minutes and then ran fine again - no idea what was causing it.
I changed the plugs and adjusted the idle etc at the start of the season (actually had it starting first pull and no problems the rest of the year). I'd be reasonably careful with the fuel mix (no measuring cylinders or anything, but I'd pour in the right amount for the fuel I was adding).

Anyway, anyone do there own engines and if so any tips or things I should be looking out for - or am I crazy and should I get a professional to have a look?
Also any educated guesses on what might be causing the cutting out?

I have radio etc and oars in case I get into trouble and am generally within sight of other boats/land etc so happy enough to give it a go and see how I get on, although I'll probably try and get petekd to join me in his boat first time out :)

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 pm

There are people who would baulk at your folly in using me as an escape route should things go wrong..... :D

While we're at it, I have a 4yo 15hp 4 stroke Honda that I will have a go at myself also, will change engine oil, plugs, filter and Gear oil, am I missing anything? I had no problems with it last year.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey Lee,

Along with Pete's list above, the impellor will need doing if it hasn't been done in a couple of years..... Same for yourself Pete. Handy enough job. Just drop the lower unit and you will see the impellor housing. Open it up and you will see a "star type" rubber wheel. Chuck the old one in the bin and put the new one in. When putting the lower unit back in, be careful of the pipe / rod that connects the impeller unit to the engine block. Make a note of how it is connected and be careful with the re-connect, especially if it's a pipe and has to be guided "blind" into a connection under the engine block.

Kev

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Hey Lee,

Regardsing you cutting out issue. Has it happened since? Do you premix your oil and Petrol? If you do this and leave the fuel for any amount of time you can get "gumming" in the fuel. It will look a little like a snot or spit in your mix.

This gummed fuel can block fuel flow through your carb, although you will normally get a couple of splutters :?

When you are finished a days fishing run your engine dry to prevent this. Simply, dissconnect your fuel line at the engine or tank as you pull in. Leave the engine running while you unpack. The engine will cut out once all fuel has been used. This way you don't get gumming in the line or carbs.

Water can be a hassle as well. If your engine doesn't have a fuel filter, it might be worth fitting one.

Kevin

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am

Cheers Kevin,

Haven't run the engine since last year, but I assume it's still doing the same thing. I wondered if it might be dirt/water somehow blocking it. Funny thing is it starts fine and runs fine for ages then dies. I ran it in a barrel for a couple of hours and it was fine, although couldn't get the revs as high as I would out at sea obviously...
I'll change my fuel line etc and get a filter etc for it and run the engine dry in future - I'd forgotten about that, used to do it back in my dive club days in the club rib, but don't do it in my own one :oops:
OK, I'll go through the list and see how it goes.

With regard to my safety boat, I haven't experienced any of Pete's mishaps, but I've heard stories :? perhaps I should get hold of the schedules of a couple of other Cork boaters just in case he needs help as well....

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:11 am

I forgot to say that you don't need to bother with the engine oil and filter because you haven't got one, with your engine being a 2 stroke. I know you already know that, just in case some else is reading over this thread for info.

Kev