Re: Fishfinders and chart plotters

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:23 pm

Guys,
Can anybody suggest a good model of a fishfinder and chart plotter for a 16ft boat with a cuddy. I've seen a number of versions which combine the two in the one, anybody any feelings or experience on these? Or should I buy them seperately.

Pete

Sounders

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:55 pm

Pete,
Buy two separate units. There are many reasons for this.

We just fitted a Garmin FF250C and have been checking it out last weekend. It is an amazing piece of gear. It might be expensive depending on what you want to do with it.

We use a Garmin GPSmap180 and are delighted with the unit. The latest version of the 180 now has "mapsource" software and is colour. I think you can't go wrong with Garmin GPS.

Jim

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Cheers for that Jim. Did you buy locally or get the stuff mailed from the UK. I haven't tried the local dealers yet just looked at prices in the 'Boat Fishing Monthly' and 'Sea Angler' magazines. I'm wondering is it cheaper to get from the UK as is the case with much of the tackle.

Pete

Finders

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:57 pm

In from the UK. I have found Redcar Fish Co. to be a good crowd to deal with. The I have yet to find an Irish chandler willing to compete. Have you any interest in a second hand Lowrance X85?

Jim.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:41 pm

jim what is it??????????? i am looking for a second hand echo sounde to get some idea of the reefs where i fish. i still use the old lining up of 2 point on the shore which some old trawler men showed me. usually works but i reckon i could b several hundred yards off on my bearings

Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:36 pm

Yes, I would go along with Jim's advice. Redcar are a decent and honourable outfit.
I have a Lowrance X85 ( fish finder / depth profiler / depth gauge / bottom identifier ), which I have found to be a great bit of kit.
With regard to GPS, I use a Lowrance hand held device which cost me about 100 sterling ( from Redcar ). Again, a great bit of kit.

Peter

Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:50 am

I'm going to buy a Garmin GPSMAP 276C after Christmas and have been checking prices. Redcar Fishing does not seem to be competetive. Try http://www.expansys.ie/ or http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

Error

Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:26 pm

Made a mistake :(

My GPS is a Garmin, the GPS 12 model.

With regard to Redcar, I found that they will match or better the prices of their competitors.

Peter

Lowrance X85

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:59 pm

Jim,
Cheers for the offer of the Lowrance, going to pass though, thanks all the same.

Pete