WD-40

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:48 am

Just wondering, i was going to take the cover of my engine after i get it serviced and spray WD-40 all over the engine, is this wise?

the reason being that i was told it keeps everything in working order and clean and a certain degree moisture proof!!

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 am

it will keep things moisture proof at times but it will also dissolve important grease around connections better to have a can on board give a light spray to disperse moisture if you have trouble starting.
this is my own opinion on this and i am not an engineer :wink:

WD-40

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:14 pm

i personally would not spray wd-40 all over the engine, remember wd-40 is also a loosing agent. as john said a light spray to disperse moisture if you have trouble starting. but dont spray it all over the engine, you could end up with a bit of trouble. you would be better to spray it with a low maintenance oil...

wd

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 am

It would be a good thing to spray the electrical side of things, leads etc. You could spray all round but it might not be of benefit other than it should prevent any residual salt hardening on the head and block and on stud heads. It will certainly do no harm. If the engine is being winterised before storage, after flushing in fresh/oily water, it would be good to add some 2stroke into the cylinder(s) via the plug socket(s). “weather seizing” is more common than seizing “in action”.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:21 am

thanks for the replies lads v interesting.

i was a bit concerned about the WD-40 dissolving the grease etc

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:39 pm

WD40 and Duct Tape: the only tools you'll ever need for anything.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use the Duct Tape.
It it doesn't move and it should, use the WD40.

:D

Re: wd

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:59 pm

[quote="Jim from Cork"]. If the engine is being winterised before storage, after flushing in fresh/oily water,

i wonder if you could spread some light on this Jim.

how do you flush in fresh oily water I'm sure you mean in a barrell and not with engine muffs.
surly if you put oil in a barrell the oil stays on the top because oil is lighter than water.
i would imagine as soon as you run engine you get a lot of turbulence in the barrell which just causes the oil to stick all over the shaft and not get any oil into the cooling system to help prevent salts crystallizing which is the whole purpose i think of running it in oily water in the first place.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm

it seems like my teaory might just be right :lol: :lol: :lol: