arvor 20

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:56 pm

can anyone tell me if they have one of theese boats anf if they are worth the money the one i am looking at has a 85 inboard diesel nanni engine :D

Arvor

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:05 am

Bazz,

I have an Orkney Fastliner but I plan to trade up in the next year and so I've been doing quite a bit of research.
The Arvor is a fine boat with great deck space. In any reports I read they all had only good things to say about it. The only negative point for me was the engine size and the speed it turns in. The 85 Nanni turns in a cruising speed somewhere in the region of 15 knots and a top end speed of 18-20knots. For such a boat I thought this was a bit on the slow side. For where I fish, Dublin Bay & East coast I think I would want something with a bit more power as the fishing grounds are spread far and wide. If your fishing grounds are close this may not be a problem. Also we tend to fish 3 blokes which in turn would take down that speed a little also.

Having said all that they do come with a complete electronics package which is a big plus.

Another boat which you should consider is the Quicksilver Pilothouse range. They are also lovely boats with great walkaround facilities for getting forward to the anchor but the big plus in my opinion is the engine size. They fit as standard both diesel and outboard motors that are bigger then than the standard size engine for a similar sized Arvor. This means that you can be cruising at around 20knots witha max speed of say 26-27knots in a similar size boat but witha bigger spec'd engine.

Its just something to consider. Look up Simspom Marine on your website. They are in the UK and have a range of these boats at the moment. You would get a better idea about them.

They are also priced similar if not a bit cheaper than the Arvor too.

Having said all that the Arvor is a beautiful boat, I've read 3 or 4 different reviews of the boat and all were glowing reports.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:51 am

cheers colm, the speed is a bit of a let down but most of the marks we fish off dunmore east are within about ten miles of each other and wrecks are located within a 15/17 mile radius so i suppose an hour would have us to most of the places we normally fish

Big boats

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:33 pm

Agree with all Colm has said. My boat is 20 ft and of comparable weight to the Arvor. She runs on a 90 HP Johnson and my cruising speed is 18.5 MPH. Any more than this burns stupid amounts of fuel very quickly. Many mag will tell you. This boat will do such and such speed etc. The truth is, most of us will get up to planing speed and keep it there because you will find it makes much more sense on fuel and the pocket. You only arrive at your destination a few minutes later... Another consideration is also the sheer size and weight of the boat when storing in your drive or towing. My boat really needs a 4X4 for towing. Smaller boats will get away with using the family car but the Arvor (20 ft) would need something larger. Also you do not want to have to be running your engine hard to make basic headway in the sea. This runs an engine into an early grave and as said before, is very costly. :?

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:52 pm

Bazz

We run a Pilothouse 640 with a 90 4s and one of the reasons we chose it in preference to an Arvor was, as Colm suggests, because of the fact we can pull +30knts. We get out fishing quick but can also get back quick if necessary too. OK, we probably burn more £ than the similar sized Arvor but there is quite a difference in purchase price and a price change in red diesel loomimg soon.

To some extent we made the mistake of underestimating what our car can tow, although the boat sits on a mooring I have run it behind the car, a 1.8 Mondeo and it's a bit scary. If I need it moving or we are trying different grounds I hire a tranny van off the local Ford dealer.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Paul

Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:07 pm

don't forget that arvor has an 85hp DIESEL which might be a bit slow but sips green diesel at about 8L/hour compare that to a 90hp outboard!!

Cheap deisel

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:08 pm

Also don't forget that using GREEN or RED deisel is against the law unless it is for commercial use. Unfortunately lads this includes us too. You will also find getting regular fill ups of cheap fuel to be both awkward and inconvenient unless you are a farmer and have easy access!

boat

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:35 pm

Paul,

How do you rate your Pilothouse?

Are you happy with it? We are contemplating an upgrade in the next year or so and its the Pilothouse that we had in mind. Can you give me an idea of what she's like to run cruising speed with a few bodies on board, economy wise, as a fishing platform, lateral stability, comfortable number fishing, driving comfort etc.

Are there any niggles you have with the package?

Cheers
Colm

Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:17 am

don't know what the rules are down where you are but up here you can use red diesel in anything that does not go on the road and your friendly oil merchant will deliver it to your door, or your boat if the tank is big enough. my mate has a rib (240hp diesel)and just rings up the oil man 400L at a time delivered to the pier, no jerry cans kicking about, no highly flamable petrol, no water affected electrics

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 am

I've been using nothing but green diesel, first I heard, mind you I wouldn't be surprised.