Make your own bait board

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Folks,

After looking at bait boards to fit into a rod holder on the boat I came to the conclusion that these were very expensive, so I decided to make my own.

Whats needed

1 wooden chopping board
1 broom shaft with fixing bracket
some wooden strips for edges
small piece of wood to correct tilt in rod holder
some duct tape.
some leather from an old belt
some tacs

procedure :

Cut wooden strips to size and glue or nail to chopping board.
Cut broom shaft to size (for our boat thats about 10 inches)
Fix broom shaft bracket to base of chopping board with screws.
Using a drill, drill a big enough hole in top left hand corner of board so that it accepts your pliers. For fixing the knife to board tac the 2 strips of leather to the board.

The board will not sit exactly horizontal in the rod holder so cut a small piece of wood to size to correct the slant. Tape this piece of wood to the broom shaft with duct tape.

Tried it in the boat today and it fits great with no play at all.

Cheers,
Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Linda barker would be proud 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: nice job man 8)

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:46 pm

That's very swish Trevt.
I just have an old board with two batons nailed underneath the width of my gunnel apart. Just push it on and off you go.....
Have to admit yours looks the part though.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Scotsman,

I like the idea of the 2 batons as well. There could be a patent in that :wink:

Cheers,
Trev

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

I've made two of these over the years. Good job. I used a type of tough plastic board as it is easier to clean and could be cut to shape easy enough using a jig saw. A good alternative for the legs is to use two pieces of 42mm wavin pipe with two elbows. You drill holes in one side of the pipes to allow a screw driver through and then screw the pipe directly into the bottom of the board. The wavin pipes fit perfectly with most rod rack type holders and works a treat.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 am

i can see a career in blue peter ahead for you dirty

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Oh yeah and loads of sticky back plastic :D

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:09 pm

i did something similar, but used a metal bar that fits into the oar lock holder and a steel piece that fits snugly each side of the gunnel to stop it spinning

not very well described, see below

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/adamsalbum79/DSCF48281.jpg[/img]

fitted a plastic pot on the side to hold bait elastic, a bottle of oil, etc and enough gap between the side pieces and board to hold a felleting knife and scissors

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/adamsalbum79/DSCF48271.jpg[/img]

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Great replies Lads.
Plenty of ideas for anyone wanting to have a go at this.

Cheers,
Trev

niceone!

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm

hey trevt.
ill have a bash at that me self.let ye know how i get on.
thanks...Doobie

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:07 am

Hi Doobie,

i'll look forward to seeing your effort.

Cheers,
Trev

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Lads,

Tried the board out today and it was great.
I'll be making one modification to it though.

A long piece of string to attach the knife to the board.
I was flippant and at one point forgot to put the knife back in its holder on the board. I left it sitting loose on the board. Took off and lost the damn knife overboard. Nightmare :-( plus fishing was cr*p. 1 coalfish of 3/4lb.

Cheers,
Trev

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Made my bait tray from old nylon chopping board and some old facia and soffeting(never rust) and probably outlast me

Tue May 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Anyone thinking of making their own board in the near future should check out the pastry board that Lidl are selling at the moment. Perfect size board for €12

Kev