Cuddy for an orkney longliner - should I or shouldn't I

Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:07 pm

Lads,
Just bought a second hand orkney longliner, only thing is it doesn't have a cabin. Any of you out there got a spare one knocking about or know where I can lay my hands on one. I'm still not sure if I want one as it might make the boat a little less practical for fishing, especially drift fishing. Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of having a cuddy would be appreciated.

Pete

Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:06 am

You can get collapsing cuddies, can't you? I think. Possibly. Maybe. I might be wrong.

But you could get the best of both worlds that way.

Cuddy

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:27 am

I would go for a cuddy if you can. When fishing you have a lot of junk so it has to go somewhere. Not all space on a boat is ever available to just the people fishing on it. Obviously it is nice to shelter from the breeze but it also provides a buffer against hard splashing when traveling in choppy seas

cuddy

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:34 pm

Hi Pete

I would second everything the two lads have said.

If you want the cheaper option go for the collapsible canvas option however it obstructs your views forward in choppy conditions / rain squalls more than the GRP otpion which has bigger visible areas (and to which you can always fit a windscreen wiper). The full GRP cuddy is a better option in terms of visibility and staying dry and you can counteract the problems on most days with wind by using a paravane. I had a small 14 ' darragh that I used around Lambay and Howth and never had problems with drifting with the cuddy but was often very grateful for the protection it affords when fishing.

You can also think about moving the controls forward near the cuddy for additional protection from the elements - I always felt there was something very unfair about the anglers staying dry under the cuddy whilst you are stuck on the engine steering them home!
:wink:

HTH

Cuddy

Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:40 pm

Pete,
If the boat you bought is indeed an Orkney Longliner then it is 19 ft long. Could the boat you have possibly be a Strikeliner? Anyway many of these boats have different cabin designs. I know of one person who has one with a 40 HP engine and does a top speed of 12 MPH! his has an actual cabin. There are others out there with just a cuddy. The longliner does actually have its steering up front unless yours is a special model that has a centre console much like the Strikeliner. What size engine does it have? The reason i ask is that since your boat has a 'V' hull you will find you will not actually fish with more than three people aboard with an engine of 60 HP or less for the simple reason that the extra weight will seriously slow the boat and hamper getting onto the plane and seriously bump up fuel consumption. I am basing this on my buddys boat and what i have noticed. With a 60 HP you will do fine but only with that many people on board. when you consider this you will see that even with a cuddy you will have plenty of room for three. Three is the max you can have in a small boat anyway in my opinion to get any real propper fishing done anyway. 'Jim from Cork' also used to fish from a Longliner and could give you better info. I would get the cuddy if you can. Do you plan to launch and retreive the boat or moor it somewhere? T :shock: hese are also considerations...

Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:31 pm

I used to have a 16 foot Longliner....... Sorry now I ever sold it. :(

Cuddy

Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:49 pm

Thanks for the advice lads. She is the 16ft orkney longliner and unfortunately my engine although new is a mere 10hp. Right now I'm not to stressed about speed as my fishing will be done in Donegal Bay on marks that don't involve a long steam. I'm planning to tow and launch rather than moor although that could change. Going on the advice I think I'll try and get the cuddy (not sure where they can be purchased yet or how much they cost). The shelter it gives will probably be more than worthwhile. I'm wondering though does it make anchoring and anchor retrieval more awkard even with a hatch in the cuddy?

Good point Kieran about sitting back at the engine getting a soaking whilst the rest sit in shelter! On that topic how much roughly would it cost to get a forward steering position set up in place and also a place to fix any of the electronics up front?

Its good to get advice from folk that have experience in small boating, cheers fellas.

Pete

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:48 am

The Longliner is a fine craft. She has a displacement hull so the speed record is safe for the moment! (not to be confused with the Strikeliner or Fastliner) However she will be a comfy boat. A cuddy would be an advantage especially if you're going to take the fishing game seriously. If you will only be travelling in the summer on calm days then why bother. You will also limit your deck space. (take a look at the Longliners on http://www.boatsales.ie for a flavour). On the other hand a cuddy would be a benefit for all the reasons that have gone before. The cuddy should not hamper anchoring provided the hatch opens enough for you to be able to get your shoulders through and be able to stand. Many cuddies have a half bulkhead to allow for steering gear etc. to be fitted. There used be an ad at the back of the Sea Angler for some chandlery crowd in the UK that offered remotes and steering gear at good money. I can't place the name at the moment.

Cuddy

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:36 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the advice. I'd hate to confine myself to the summer and flat calm conditions so all in all I think I might try for the cuddy. In terms of sea conditions what would you consider the comfortable and safe limit for the longliner? Anybody else have any opion on this?

Pete

Orkney

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:53 pm

With your current engine size, you will not be doing much more than pottering around inshore grounds. It would simply take too long to go further than this. This might not be such a big deal however. Where are you based and plan to fish the boat? Some areas have superb fishing just off the land. Other areas like Dublin and Wicklow can require much more travelling to reach propper spots that hold fish. The nature of your boat lends itself to slow engines anyway. Orkneys are not really built for speed. They do handle choppy seas well though.

Sea Conditions

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:52 pm

Jaysus, thats a tricky one! There is no definitive answer to that question. What I consider rough you might think was a doddle! Here in Cork a southwesterly of 15knts is snotty enough whereas in Donegal its probably beautiful as the wind is off the land. Sea conditions are subjective. Nobody likes to be bashed around, bite detection goes to crap and neither the head nor the tummy are pleased. That said if there's a competition involved........

Cuddy

Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:23 pm

Here is a link that you might find interesting.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/CRA492/

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:06 pm

Cheers for all the advice lads. Much appreciated. Probably will opt for the cuddy, just gotta find one now!

Southwest can be dirty enough in Donegal Bay Jim, tends to funnel right up into it leaving very little shelter. Anyhow I'll not take her out in more than 15 to be on the safe side, for the beginning at least. Thanks for the help.

This site truly is a great resource in that so much experience can be readily accessed. Long may she continue.

Pete

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:25 pm

Pete,

If you are having problems getting your hands on one, as an option it's possible to get a soft one made, you might have to get some stainless steel supports for it seperately or from the same source. let me know if you want contact details for canvas stitching and stainless welders that I know.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:19 pm

Ta Adrian might do that. You been fishing Sligo at all recently?

Pete

cuddy

Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:43 pm

no question m8 buy a cuddy, sourse 2 lengths of 3quater round galv water pipe,work out how high you want it take it to a plumber and ask him to bend the tube for you at the width you want, once you have this drill the 4 ends with a quater hole source yourself some stainless plate or galved about 3ins wide and 6ins long to bolt to gunnels this needs drillin with quater hole as well bolt goes thro the 2 pipes at each end and then thro plate frame made take the boat to anyone who works with canvas such as sailmaker and get him to fit the trame out for you job done you may need to use some strips of hard wood around the edeges to fasten everything down I once used those eyes ans toggles but they dont last 2 mins whereas the wood strips lasted years hope this helps m8 cheers Rod.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 am

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately I haven't done any fishing since July, I'm pretty tied up with work and building a house, hopefully I'll have more time after easter. I was down to Mullaghmore a few times early in the summer.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:50 pm

Adrian,
Was just wondering if it had been fishing well, had planned to try a couple of the shore marks over the winter but just haven't got round to it yet.

Pete

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Pete,

There was about 3 different boat reports over the summer and all were poor enough. I fished from the pontoon at Mullaghmore twice for very short stints, once with feathers and once with mackeral, didn't blank either time. I'd like to try a cretain hole on the other side of the head but both times I went down there it was too rough, I live about an hour away so it does take a bit of forward planning to make it worth while.