Warrior 165

Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:07 pm

Anyone got one, been in one, heard anything good/bad about them?

My quest for a tidy small boat package continues........ :D

Boat search

Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:12 pm

Have you tried the website "WWW.Findmeafishingboat.co.uk" It may have what your looking for
Joe :lol:

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Hi Tanglerat,
Did you get in contact with Luke Scully. He is very well up on all things boatwise. He has some very good info on his website :www.fishingchannel9.com.
As a sailor and amateur yacht designer I must complement Luke on his insights and considerations.
Hope this helps
John

Warrior 165

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:28 pm

A super two man angling boat. Has been surpassed only by the 175 (also in price!!) I know many people with both 165 and 175 and I've yet to hear a complaint. If you're thinking of buying, you cannot get better. The seahog samurai is a good copy of a 165 hull.

Jim (Warrior Sales Dept. Cork!!!!!!)

Warrior 165

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:16 am

As Jim says they are a good boat (he uses his 175 to hit distant wrecks off the South coast), I have a Seahog Samurai which is as close to a 165 as you can get with some slight changes made above the waterline. There's plenty of room for all your fishing needs and she's very stable when at anchor. A quick look at any boating competition and you will see a number of 165's, Seahog's and Orkney's which says a lot for these boats. Their high resale value also gives some idea of how much these boats are in demand.
Damien

Boats

Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:58 am

The 165 is a great boat. No questions. I was only looking at one yesterday while in Courtown harbour in my own boat and passed a 175 on my way down there. From what Jim tells me, they are excellent at biting into waves for a boat of that size at high speed. Something that can be lacking in other boats leading to a lot of slamming. All i can say is, if you can afford one then you can't get much better. There are other good alternatives out there for a much cheaper price however if you cant quite afford one. Another kick ass boat is the Bayliner Trophy 1802 but you do not see that many of them in this country. Also don't write off some of the older boats such as the Pilot or Wilson flier. You could do a lot worse. They might not be quite as pretty and put you in the 'magazine croud' as i call them but perform superbly. It is up to you what you really want. :?

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:10 pm

Joe, http://www.findafishingboat.co.uk is a good site. But nothing on there grabs my attention right now.

Luke's site is excellent. It's a treasure trove of information. Cheers, Luke! :D

I've got a sniff of a Warrior 165, Hallmark trailer with manual and electric winches, 4hp auxillary and 50 hp Mariner main engine, both 4 stroke, lots of bits n bobs added onto basic boat, all less than 2 years old and still under warranty.

Asking price is just under 10 Grand Sterling. How does that price sound to you, Jim? Is it reasonably in the ballpark or widely out?

Warrior 165

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:41 pm

If the engines are only two years old, it is a fair price. But only because it is a Warrior... Warriors are not around that long and so any for sale are probably first time owners looking for a good return on what they origionally paid out. It does not reflect the true value of the boat. A comparable boat could go for a lot cheaper because it is a bit older and has had a few owners. For example, I paid €4000 for my current boat and shes a 20 footer with a 90 HP Johnson V4 engine that runs like a dream! The boat did need some work and still does! but if you are handy at all, boats are not that hard to work on. The engine alone would have been worth €4000! By the start of next season, I should have the boat exactly the way I want it. A bit of work and respectible price for what is at the end of the day, a leisure item. As I said if you can afford it then go for it. It sounds like a decent deal if everything is above board and at the end of the day, if the boat still looks new the it is new! Boats are only lumps of fibreglass with an engine stuck on. It is a Warrior. A renowned boat for angling. Even when you spend your money you will not be dissapointed. As long as the boat and engine is in good condition....

Warrior

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:10 pm

Sounds like a good price, especially when you start to take into account the extras.
You can get a good flavour of the prices both new or second hand warriors on http://www.boatsales.ie. There can be better deals to be had accross the pond but when you take all factors into account it may be better to buy at home. When you start to add the extras to a basic offer price you can see the good value of the boat you're looking at.

If it's this style of boat you're looking for I would think you're on to a winner.

Remember it is said: "if you have an enemy, buy him a boat". :D

Jim

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:13 pm

Remember it is said: "if you have an enemy, buy him a boat".

That's actually a bit scary........ :shock:

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:15 pm

That link isn't working, Jim.

Or is it just me?

http://www.boatsales.ie

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:27 pm

Tanglerat wrote:
Remember it is said: "if you have an enemy, buy him a boat".

That's actually a bit scary........ :shock:

Scary but true... Even if you buy a new boat there is a non stop list of jobs to do, non stop tweaking and fixing(boat & trailer). Great if you like that sort of thing and are good at it, but it a non stop stream of expense and time if you're not. Myself and the brother are lucky in that we can look after practically all maintainence and fixing ourselves. So you can see where the saying comes from: if you have an enemy buy him a boat, he'll have no time left for hassling you, he'll be too busy!!!!!!

Cheers,
Jim.

Boats

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 pm

'A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into!' - That my personal favorite....

But seriously, Jim is quite right. Boats are great fun but a lot of hassle. There are really two types of people who buy boats. Those that buy their first one and did'nt fully realise what they were getting into and then soon sell it on. Then there are those who did'nt fully realise what they were getting into and just take it on the chin and get on with it. They can break your heart at times. Jim knows what i am speaking of. You just have to decide which kind of person you are?... :wink:

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:54 am

@R$€!

It's been sold. :cry:

Oh well, an excuse to visit more boatyards.........