Perspex/Polycarbonate windows

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any good tips about cleaning up Perspex/Polycarbonate windows on the cuddy of a boat?

Our Seahogs side windows are worn and it is difficult to see out of them.
Seahog want £45 a window. I think this is a bit steep.

Just wondering if it is possible to some how restore the existing ones.

Cheers,
Trev

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Trev,
If you head down the bottom of the Ravenhill Rd in Belfast towrds Central Station, there's a company on the RHS of the road (big sign) who do these a lot cheaper - custom made . Can't find their details at the minute but will get back to you when I do. Will be in the yellow pages.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Ah Conor,

Is that the McMordie Brothers? I used to live on the Ravenhill Road so know exactly where you mean :-) I wonder if they will do the drilling of the holes on the sheets as well. Did you get some there for your hog as well?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Trev

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 am

Hi Trev

You can get a window cleaning cream from Jamison&Greens I used it last year on my Orkney 520 windows it worked a treat. Its a bit like T cut would recommend you try it before buying new windows.

Cheers
Maurice

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 am

Hi Maurice,

I might give that a go first alright.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Trev

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:33 pm

Trev,
that's them alright - here's their website and contact details. Let me know how you get on - I'm thinking of replacing my console visor for a taller tinted one.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi Connor,

Did McMordie Brothers make your first visor?
I am after putting one on the commodore. I contacted Seahog and their own one fits onto the top of the cuddy where the tonneau cover attaches to, so that will not suit. I'd like to get one made and fit it just a few inches forward from the back of the cuddy.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Trevor,
The visor was on the boat when I bought it.

It is just forward of the tonneau locks but is only about 6inches high - it might as well not be there and it is scratched to hell so I want a new , slightly taller one (about 9 inches) - orange tinted - and better finished.

If you do contact McMordies and get a price, let me know. Now I have it in my mind, I might get in touch myself - will let you know how I get on.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Perspex/Polycarbonate deteriorates in sunlight so it is a chemical change in the product that you are seeing. I have the same problem with mine.

There is a product called Lexan which, while a bit expensive, is much more robust (called bullet-proof in some documents), is very flexible (it will, where needed, curve 180 degrees) and does not react to sunlight in the same way as perspex.

It comes clear or bronze coloured as far as I can see.

I'm going to look at that when replacing the windows/windscreen on the boat this winter.

Hope this helps.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Cheers for all the replies so far lads.

I cleaned the windows today with a product called Renovo. The side windows came up well. But the 2 at the front are completely battered but they should be cheap enough to replace as they are smaller than the side windows.

Cheers,
Trev

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:16 am

just exactly the info i was looking for

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Lads,

I left the hogs 2 front windows into McMordie brothers on the Ravenhill Rd in Belfast today.

£22 + VAT for the new polycarbonate ones with the holes for the bolts drilled out as well. I think this is a good price. Pick the new ones up wednesday.

Cheers,
Trev

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 am

HAlf Price Trev...... :D Nice result.

Kev