Solar Panel recommendations???

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good weatherproof solar panel at a reasonable price?

We have had 2 so called water proof ones off ebay and the diode that prevents reverse charging seemed to pack in both times. These panels were maplin ones I think.

It will be fixed onto the cuddy roof so needs to be water proof.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Managed one to source one folks.

from these guys :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Panel-Weath ... dZViewItem

Appears to be weatherproof.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Cheers Trev. I made a few calls there and Kinnego marina have some - which probably means that Carrickcraft in Malahide stock them also.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi Conor,

just out of interest, how much are Carrickcraft looking for the panel?

Cheers,
Trev

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi Trev,
I asked about price and was told "about £70" - which is fairly steep compared to the ebay panel. I do remember though that it looked a bit sturdier, and is larger than the one on ebay. Carrickcraft's number is
(00 44) 2838343911 - give them a shout and they'll tell you what you need to know .

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Conor,

Thanks for that. I've ordered the other one now anyway.
I suspect the one from Carrickcraft is a better spec.

We only need the panel to top up the battery after use.
So the one I got should be OK.

BTW, Did you get any Keel bands sorted out for your hog?

The alloy strip I put onto our boat seems to do the trick.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:10 pm

to get a free solar panel simply take a small nail bar to the panel on top of a parking ticket dispenser - just kidding - but it would probably work

Fri May 23, 2008 2:42 am

i got one from maplins for discount 20 euros and its fine, charges away while the boat is in the water, free trickle charge :-)

Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm

I got one of those panels of eBay have it on about two weeks and it still seems to be working fine . How long did yours last ?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:03 pm

cache wrote:i got one from maplins for discount 20 euros and its fine, charges away while the boat is in the water, free trickle charge :-)

Thanks Cache, I picked up one of these myself for €17 and i've check it with a digital multi-meter and it seems to work really well (pulsing up to 12.75V), cant go wrong for that sort of money :wink:

Ken