Keel bands any good or not?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any insight into the use of keel bands?
Thinking of maybe fitting some to our Seahog to help protect her from scrapes?

I noticed you can get plastic ones complete with glue. I would not be too keen on drilling any holes.

Will they degrade boat performance? Is it worth considering?

Cheers,
Trev

keelband

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Any small boat that can be expected to touch down on a slip or beach should have one. A thin alu strip would be fine. Haven’t seen the plastic variety. Both plastic or alu can be glued (PU sealer is ideal) and you’re dead right about not wanting to drill as any flexing of the hull can make sealing a nightmare. Provided the strip is small and smooth there should be minimal performance issues.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks Jim,

I will fit one ASAP.

Cheers,
Trev

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Trev,
Where'd you get them ?I'd be interested in getting some fitted myself - what sort of Seahog have you ?

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Conor,

You can get em here

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/search.aspx? ... eel%20band

I suppose most marine stores would do them.

Our Seahog is a Commodore. Love it to bits.

Cheers,
Trev

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Jim,

I did a check on the boat. If I am to put the keel band on I noticed that the keel is sitting tight on the front roller and was trying to think how best to raise the boat up. I was thinking of using a jack with a thick wide piece of board to spread the pressure across the hull. How did you go about this?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,
Trev

keel

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Sounds about right there. Be gentle with the jack. Once up you might be able to put a couple of timbers under the gunnels (by the rubbing strip). When we did it (years ago) we took the boat off the trailer and put it on its side, easy with an Orkney not so easy with a hog methinks.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks Trev - will have a look and hopefully get a set myself ! Hogs rock !! :D

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 pm

Lads,

Got 3 alloy strips from B&Q 2m x 15mm x 2mm for £10. you might want to check that out Conor as a marine place quoted me £100 for the same length in plastic.

Spoke to the chaps at Seahog and they said that would do nicely. They are very helpful.

Jim, this PU sealer, where can I purchase this from?

Cheers,
Trev