Outboard fuel problem

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Bought a Mercury outboard, and went to try it out today but the fuel wouldn't pump through from the fuel tank to my outboard.
There is a tube from the tank to the outboard with a rubber bulb in between, The bulb seems to be in good nick. I think it could be the connector unit that connects to the outboard ?
Any Ideas ?

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:01 pm

I had this problem and it turned out to be very simple to fix. The pump has a connector to the tank - mine was on upside down - try turning it round. If you hand pump the ball and it doesn't go solid, it's on the wrong way round. When you pump it and it's on correctly, it'll go hard and you'll know to stop pumping it.

Also, make sure the air inlet on top of the tank is open when you are using it - I just found this out recently too (see "Engine to tick over" thread).

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:20 pm

I think Conor has covered most of it. What size engine is it?
Kev

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm

MAC wrote:I think Conor has covered most of it. What size engine is it?
Kev
Its a 20 hp Mercury Blue band (older than the red band mercs). I tried fiddling about with the connector and changed the bulb around with no luck. It still won't pump the fuel, I even tried pushing a rod into the connector to open the valve up and then pumping the bulb.
So it must be a connector fault. But Stitts in islandmagee have said that i should replace the whole fuel pipe/tube, Bulb and connector, They would do it for around £32.00.
I actually thought it would be more expensive, So i am happy with the price. :)

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 pm

You'll get a new tank and connector for that on ebay !!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:35 pm

kissafish wrote: I tried fiddling about with the connector and changed the bulb around with no luck. It still won't pump the fuel, I even tried pushing a rod into the connector to open the valve up and then pumping the bulb.

When you open the valve (I presume this was the valve on the engine end connection?) Did it spay petrol? If it did the tank / fuel line is not your problem!.

There should be an arrow on the bulb indicating the direction of flow from the tank! (Arrow points towards the engine)

It could easily be something in your tank that has been sucked up to block the outlet of the tank! I have seen this a few times caused by the cap seal insert of a 2 stroke oil bottle that had fallen in while pouring oil into the tank.

Before you spend money try and borrow another tank (you may need to change the connection to fit your engine) to test first!

Jim

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:40 pm

Good point Jim.... Also old fuel can "gum" This could lead to a blockage at the fuel filter. Replace the fuel line if you like..... This is cheap in any car store. Trace your fuel line from the tank into the Carb and try to replace / clean as much of it as you can.

Kev