Can a compass be fixed?

Sat May 19, 2007 1:23 pm

I have been given a boat compass. It's the ball type for fixing onto a boat. The only problem is that the poles are reversed! It constantly settles with the North symbol pointing South. Can this be readjusted/fixed?

Don't worry. I have no intention of using it unless it's right. I don't compromise on safety.

Cheers

Sat May 19, 2007 7:52 pm

erm i could be wrong.. but i think that is the way they are supposed to be.....
looking across at it shows the direction you are traveling...

not like orientation compass where you look down and it gives direction..

could be wrong though..

Sat May 19, 2007 10:01 pm

If I am on the same wavelength here, a local charter boat owner near me is driven nuts by the same "problem" on a new boat he bought, If you are saying what I think you are saying is that with the compass mounted in front of you - you are used to the direction you are pointing in lets say north. Your compass shows north at 6 O clock when you are used to it being at 12 O clock or visa versa.

If this is the case you cant fix it they come in both configurations, you just have to get used to it :cry:

Jim

Sun May 20, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Maybe I haven't explained this very well:-)

There is a ball floating in liquid. The ball has markings on it - North, South, East and West and all the graduations. I thought the North symbol N was supposed to swing around and settle pointing North. It actually swings around and settles pointing South. I think it is the wrong way around.

Is this the way it should be?

Cheers

Compass

Sun May 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Maybe I can try! :)
Standard map reading compass is read looking down on the compass face.
Normal marine compass is read from behind the compass.

Picture yourself at the helm. You are travelling North. When you read your compass it will show you travelling north (remember you are reading from behind the compass). The N will actually be where S should be.

These pictures give a good idea what’s going on.

Notice in both cases you are heading North (0 degrees). Look at the markings on the different compasses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 pm

I've just had a eureka moment. I understand this exactly now. Thanks for your effort and patience without which I would have thrown the compass into the bin. I really thought it wasn't working!

I'll have to learn how to use it now:-)

Cheers