Lanzarote report - 12/06

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Lanzarote report - 12/06

Postby Silverocket » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Went to Lanzarote for a weeks holiday . Stayed in Puerto del carmen , just off the beach. Fishing was a bit better than recent trips but this can depend on the time of year.

Day 3 : Old town inner pier - Lots of Palometa , mullet and wrasse , all small. All caught on the float and size 10 hooks with squid and bread.
Got two strikes on a Rapala J11 jointed plug . No idea what they were.

Day 4 : Puerto del carmen beach - plenty of palometa and mullet- again all small .

Day 5 : Old town - outer pier. Fished the outer pier at sunset. All was quiet utill a huge shoal of Garfish passed by followed by a shoal of Dorado. To see the speed of the feeding Dorado on the surface and the pressure wave in front of their heads as they hammered into the Garfish combined with a tropical sunset is a sight that I will remember for a long time. Reminded me of the time I caught my first Tarpon in Antigua , similiar circumstances and a nice sunset. In anyway - Hooked 2 Garfish . The bloke beside me was fishing the bottom and catching Dabs.

Day 6 : Old town - Inner pier. A few Baracuda showed that day but just would not feed . I fished a live bait in front of one and it wouldnt take a sniff. Largest was about 15 lb ! I would say fishing for them at dawn when the harbour is quiet would be best.

NOTE :

Fishing is not permitted at the inner pier . It all depends what security guard is on . Otherwise you will be asked to leave.

Watch out for the Stingray in the harbour . You can see them from the inner pier wall. Now lads before you start getting excited about the prospect of catching Ray in Lanzarote be warned.Forget about your telescopic rods and regular tackle box for you will need large reel of rope and size 10/0 hooks .These fish weigh 100 lbs and and if your stupid enough they will take you (wife and kids) on a trip to Fuerteventura. Better off to leave them alone as it is very enjoyable to watch them feeding on the left overs from the previous days catch. Also the locals may not appreciate you fishing for them.

Puerto Calero holds some big Mullet and Baracuda (30 lb) . Problem is you havnt a hope in hell in fishing there. This is an upmarket type of marina and is very well maintained . Fishing is not permitted and you will be asked to leave. You are allowed to fish the breakwater pier.

If your fishing the rocks at the outer pier in the evening cover up from the mosquitos. Get in touch if you need any info on the other Canary islands.

Untill the next holiday , Bye.
Last edited by Silverocket on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silverocket
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MAC » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:23 pm

Nice report mate. Looks like you had a bit of fun. The Dorado feeding on the Garfish sounds amazing.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm

i'm green with envy :mrgreen: i was supposed to go there this week but i couldnt get my passport sorted in time.. the form is still on top of my monitor :oops: :oops:
sounds like you had a great time out there..
love the old city and the harbour :D :D :D
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Silverocket » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Indeed , Weather was great - ambient temperature 22*c and 27*c in the sun . I also have a very understanding girlfriend and daughter.
Silverocket
SAI Lug Worm

lure fishing in Lanzarote

Postby kieran » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi Silverorcket

Nice report. I am told that the Wigstonelure Tazzie No 68 is the business if you want to get the predators to hook up on a lure... damn things arrived the week after I came back so buy them early from Oz! :wink:
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

canarys

Postby croppyboy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:23 am

im hoping to go to porto rico in january any ideas on were to fish i went out on dutch boat for marlin last august great day 1 take no fish but id like to try some shore stuff

croppy
croppyboy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby KK » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 am

Hey i seen the ray there during the summer, and some very big fish within the harbour walls but as you said its forbidden to fish for them!!!
but was under strict orders from the girlfriend-NO FISHING!!!!!
KK
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Silverocket » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Croppyboy ---- Got a chance to go out on a charter from Puerto Rico a few years back . Landed a 20 lb Eagle Ray . 6 were caught in total plus 1 Red snapper. Cant remember the name of the boat - It was locally owned and operated. For shore fishing try the first marina on the way into Puerto Rico. Go to the end of the pier and you will catch Bream and Mullet .I seen a bloke reeling in a Ray of some sort on the pier at Mogan.
Silverocket
SAI Lug Worm

Postby nthclare » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Great report especially the way you mentioned leaving the stingray alone they are nice to see in those clear seas minding their own business getting on with their day.

I was sitting on a rock on Green Island Co Clare one hot august eve and a Porbeagle cruised around for around 20 mins I was in awe watching him just going about his business quite a nobel fish to see must have been nearly 150-200lbs in weight he definatley knew I was there on the rocks as on two occasions he came right up to the rocks and turned on his side so as to get a good view of whats above water it will remain in my memory forever it was a regular accurance during the 60s and 70s but they are not as common as they used to be.
nthclare
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Silverocket » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:44 am

Those special occasions are very rare and when they do happen you treasure the moment.
Silverocket
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers