Southern Sicily

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:07 pm

Anybody fished southern Sicily? Can't find anything on the web. Probably a long shot, but any experience shared would be appreciated......

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Sicily? Theres a joke to be made here about sleeping with fishes but I'm not going to make it!

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi

i fished sorrento last month which is not a million miles away. i would guess you are talking mostly small stuff, small bream, damselfish, blue runners etc. best bet would be to bring some coarse fishing gear and fish waggler with some mashed bread and sardines for groundbait. and small bits of prawn , bread or squid on the hook.

this would do for the mullet too, which are golden greys and generally very obliging. if you can double your rod up for a bit of spinning you might pick uo some more species. a light tele rod is what i use

there are also some bottom fish over sandy areas that look like big blennies of small tub gurnards, i dont know what they are really, got some up toa pound on lehered sqiud. but keep the hooks and weights small.

i am not sure if fishing with the class of gear we use over here would produce anythig biggger

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Somebody mentioned I might look forward to a fitting for concrete overshoes.......

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Adam S wrote:Hi

i fished sorrento last month which is not a million miles away. i would guess you are talking mostly small stuff, small bream, damselfish, blue runners etc. best bet would be to bring some coarse fishing gear and fish waggler with some mashed bread and sardines for groundbait. and small bits of prawn , bread or squid on the hook.

i am not sure if fishing with the class of gear we use over here would produce anythig biggger

I suppose about what I expected, though I read that there used to be a substantial tuna fishery off the south coast..........

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:33 pm

Yeah there might still be

got some serviola tuna in the med off spain fast trolling aspets( like garfish) a few years ago near the mouth of the ebro. so they might be around sicily too, whether or not you could get a charter though i dont know