Fishing in Koh Samui

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Fishing in Koh Samui

Postby samonwalkabout » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Anybody been fishing in Koh Sumui, can you reckomend anyone to go fishing with?

Found this crowd via google

http://www.faraway.co.th/scripts/fawapp ... vendorid=3

look OK but any personal recommendations/advice would be great
-------------------------------
EEkK
samonwalkabout
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby alby » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:25 pm

Ah Samui, You jammy git! Alot of the places do barracuda and all the different Jacks fishing on different reefs not far off shore, if a few of yer mates go it's quality, you can have the boat to yourself, a few tinnies and the fishing is nuts. (Don't drink buckets of thai whiskey and red bull the night before - thats from personal experience :roll: )

We got a deal where if we caught 30KG of Jacks we got a free meal (the jacks we had caught) and free booze for the night in a local restaraunt. Didn't do much fishing in Samui actually, but did a bit in Koh Tao, did the scuba diving there too (a must for anglers). TBH I had to dry out after Samui the nightlife was just mad, so was good to chill in Tao for a week or two - you'll need it :)
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby samonwalkabout » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 am

:D yep great spot will be my 3rd trip out there but never managed to organise any fishing before too busy with all the other attractions but determined to give it a go this time. I had a pretty rubbish trip out of Phi Phi a couple of years back so was looking for a crowd with better gear and attuituides.. will be diving defo, might head up to Tao for that and hold off on the fishing till then, what was the name of your crowd if you can remember?

Thanks
EEkK
samonwalkabout
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Conor H » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:22 pm

I took a charter out of Koh Samui and ended up with some great King Mackerel (I think that's what they were - there are photos on the Holiday snappers forum somewhere) . Brought them to a restaurant and they cooked up 4 steaks for us if we gave them the rest of the fish !

Started out catching small bait fish and floating them with no success - I took off the float and free lined - had an instant take - freelining was best. I did the same on a charter from Phi Phi - freelining again out fished floated baits.

When I say "Charter" these were pretty much thai long boats with "skippers" who couldn't speak a word of English. Made things tricky to begin with but after a fish or two, when you get the feel for what you're at , it doesn't matter - he's only there for the money and as long as you pay him and he gets a fish, he's happy ! You won't find these charters online for pre-booking, but there are enough of them to arrange on the night before fishing.

Tight lines - you jammy get !! :D
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby samonwalkabout » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanks..sounds great..can't wait to get out there !! :D :D :D