West African Shore Fishing Festival, 3/4/5 Nov 2006

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

West African Shore Fishing Festival, 3/4/5 Nov 2006

Postby paddyc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:23 am

10th Anniversary
West African Shore Fishing Festival
The Gambia 3/4/5 Nov 2006

Why not take part in this high value prestigious 3-day beach competition, which will form part of a fabulous 7,10, or 14 day fishing holiday in this superb tropical location that is the Gambia, West Africa.
Relax in the sun, fish the rich beaches of the Gambia and enjoy the local culture of Africa.
No qualification required, open to all. Bring your friends/family along they too will enjoy the relaxed atmosphere also.
Packages will include:Flights (Ex Gatwick), Transfers, Hotel (inc. Air Conditioning) Prices are based on 2 persons sharing

The Gambia – West Africa
Fact file- This friendly West African Country can offer the travelling angler and his family , the opportunity to sample fantastic Beach fishing , along with good quality hotels and stunning beaches and weather.
All the usual holiday excursions are available for those non fishing days and the hotel entertainment and a huge selection of restaurants, bars and clubs , will mean you will never get bored. The competition week offers you a chance to take a winter break and hopefully win a lump of the costs back . The festival is deliberately aimed at giving Non match anglers a chance to compete on an even playing field , the points system means that one big fish can rocket you up the score board.

Holiday Stuff:
Flight Time- 5 ½ - 6 hrs . Main Language :- English.
Currency :- Dalasis. Exchange Rate :- 47 to the £1.
Hotel Grades- 2–5 star Peak weather season :- Nov -April
Car Hire :- Not Advisable. Average daily temperature:- 28-35 degs but can go alot hotter. Flights from Uk Airports :- Gatwick, Manchester, Bristol and Glasgow.

Safety rating- Safe,
but local boys can be a hassle Average Taxi fare:- £3.00 Cost of Evening meal :- £3.50- £6.00
Cost of a bottle of local beer :- £0.60.
Medical- No Compulsory Innoculations , But Malaria pills Insurances required.
Full WorldwideFishing StuffCharters available- Tarpon, Reef, Bluewater and Mangrove boat charters. Guided Beach fishing days by Landrover.

Target species :- Tarpon Tigerfish, Cubera Snapper , Sailfish, Dorado, Black Fin Tuna, Threadfin salmon, Rays, Guitarfish, Jack Crevalle, Barracuda, Queenfish. Captainfish, Catfish, Ladyfish, Cassava
And some of these fish can top 100lbs from the beach!!

Boats :- 20ft Inshore Cuddy craft with Outboards + 30ft Catarmarran for bluewater. Favoured Methods:- Livebaiting , Bottom bait fishing , Trolling and Casting lures for Jacks and Barracuda. Equipment Supplied :- 12,20,50lb Boat outfits , Heavy spinning gear , Standard Uk Rock mark Beach casting out fits.

100% Prizefund Payout
+ Optional Pools
Competition is on pre-entry bases only
Deposit £100.00 Stg required to secure place

For Further Details regarding Brochure & Prices Contact:
John Prescott
Tel: 045 879341 – Fax: 045 875952 – E-Mail: countryman_angling@iolfree.ie
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby MAC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:11 pm

Just looking at the currency exchange..... :shock: WOW 47 - £1 Last time I was there is was about 24.

This is a nice holiday guys for anyone thinking about. I have heard though, that over the last few years that the fishing has declined to the extent that it's getting more and more like scratching. Might have something to so with the Japanise Trawlers that have been in operation of the coast of Gambia for the last few years.

If the fishing were better I would consider it.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby paddyc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:17 pm

Yes but the Japaneses had there trawling license revoked by the Gambian government over 2yrs ago and there were great catches by allot of the anglers last year, with the jacks in particular, it was great to see lots of them about and what ferocious fighters they are even on heavy dead baiting/spinning rods with some good reports in the sea angler recently of some 40lb+ captains, 50lb+ barracuda, guitar-fish 80/100lb, sting ray 150+ all from sanyang beach area.
The coast has changed allot in the last 2-3yrs with the government literally moving whole beaches to form new features and coastline to aid development. Alan yates won it last year with some very nice fish.
The exchange rate quoted is in sterling and if i remember righly last year it was 36/37 per euro which still makes it very cheap.
Where did you stay? and how did you get on fishing?
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby MAC » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:11 am

I was there years ago Paddy. It was the first Comp pegged at Sanyang beach, they year eddie won.

Can't remember the name of the place, but it was the hotel that was used before the one they use now.

I didn't realise that the Japanese Trawlers had been inactive for that long. I heard that it was only this year they were due to stop fishing the Gambian waters.

I heard there were some good catches of Jack last year alright, but I heard that they were caught away from the comp. Henry had some great sport there on large poppers it the surf.

Like I said though, the craic is great and there is some excellent fishing to be had. I really like Trolling in the open boats for the Barracudas. Didn't realise that they could be caught off Sanyang.

Personally, I cant make it this year. I'm looking to head for Namibia in Febuary from some Copper Shark fishing. :wink:

Tight Lines,

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby paddyc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:08 am

Cool, would love to try namibia, can you forward on any info on it, re: costs,flights,vaccines,accom,,etc,,would be much appriciated.
The old hotel was the Mariatoo (pardon my spelling) down at cape point, what a place that was!! some of my best trips involved that hotel,
its a 5* job now totally rebuilt and very swish.
Yes pat, henry and myself had great sport with the jacks on poppers off the point at Batacuntoo (again pardon spelling) and radio-sid beach twards banjul. Another area worth mentioning is gunjur, we had some great sport off. And some of the lads went 150 miles up river in serch of tigger fish and also had big captains, cassava, and stingray,
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby MAC » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 pm

I'll post some info on Namibia as I gather it. You could try mola-mola.co.uk They run great trips and are considered the best guides in the area.

Back to Gambia,

Good to see the fishing is getting better. Sounds like you guys have found some excellent spots. Personally I wouldn't go that far up river for the tigers, but I have heard that they are there and some big ones as well.

Hopefully the fishing will be good for the comp this year. I really enjoyed my trip there. A few good comps will get people going over again. I also think it's got too big now, but there is some serious cash available if you can compete with the likes of Alan Yates.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers