Question about bringing tackle abroad

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Question about bringing tackle abroad

Postby Teegerstk » Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 am

Hi
I'm heading off to Lanzarote in June for 10 days or so, and I've put together a few soft plastics, packs of small hooks and some Kiltys/Tobys. Will I be able to check in a bag with these in it at the airport or will I have problems? I also plan to bring a small reel aswell.
Thanks
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Question about bringing tackle abroad

Postby red » Sat May 20, 2017 2:51 pm

You can pretty much put what you want into checked luggage. If your putting a travel rod in make sure its either in a hard shell case wrapped in clothes or is inside in a hard tube. They won't entertain you if it gets broken.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby Teegerstk » Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 pm

red wrote:You can pretty much put what you want into checked luggage. If your putting a travel rod in make sure its either in a hard shell case wrapped in clothes or is inside in a hard tube. They won't entertain you if it gets broken.

Thanks red
I'll only be bringing the end tackle and a small reel, I won't be bringing a travel rod as I'll just buy a cheap one out there.
Ta
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby kieran » Sun May 21, 2017 10:02 pm

*calms seething anger concerning airlines and rods*

Be very careful with taking rods on airlines unless they are inside your checked luggage. Otherwise don't do it.
If you are not taking checked luggage, you can post your preferred traces and lures to your holiday destination and just ask them to hold it in reception.
You have to post it back of course, less losses... and always best to register the post. But I would caution against this...

You would be far better off leaving most of it at home, and buying the lures and traces there - as they are a) cheaper and b) more appropriate to the local species.
love fishing in Lanzarote but its tricky.

Beaches and rocks / harbour arms are fun for species hunts, especially into darkness but be VERY careful around the local scorpion fish as they are extremely venomous.
The local moray eels put our congers to shame for teeth, wire is an absolute necessity for even the smallest buggers...

You can catch bonito from the shore on lures in certain locations (costa teguise rocks, past the resort) but you need to be up early and hit the coming tide with the right lures - and its not a place to go alone. You would be far better off talking to the local fishing shop owners, many of whom are ex-pats.

best fishing I had was in the razor sharp black volcanic gullies and channels - one hook wrasse rigs with prawn as bait. Tons of excellent bream - loads of species and you can go LRF for species hunting whilst waiting for the bangs from the feeding bream... most fish around 1lb in old money, but plenty big enough for the BBQ.

Hope this helps, enjoy...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Mon May 22, 2017 2:32 pm), Teegerstk (Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby chuckaroo » Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm

yip, I'd go along with the previous comments here..
any sharp objects like hooks etc will not be allowed to be carried on to the plane in hand luggage, but they can be put into your main suitcase and checked through. Most things can be put into your main checked-in luggage, even fishing knives.
Fishing reels and line were ok as hand luggage (nice to have them on your person if they are valuable and have sentimental value.. :wink: ) with the last airline that I travelled with but each airline could all have their own separate polices, worth telephoning them to check if need be.
however, i have had a telescopic rod taken from me on one airline. My impression was that fishing rods were seen as over-sized for hand luggage (they wouldn't fit into the overhead compartment) and so I thought that I would be fine with a telescopic rod that actually fitted into the hand luggage (i should have been?!). But I wasn't, the guy wouldn't see the sense of it, the rule was no fishing rods as far as he was concerned, period. :roll:
Stick your telescopic rod into your checked-in main luggage or buy one over there. Rods aren't particularly expensive to be honest, cheap combo packs can suffice in many occasions, sometimes your can even hire a rod for a day or two. Otherwise, if you really want to bring your own good rods, then you will have to purchase a rod carrying case and pay for the excess over-sized luggage.. maybe £30 each way.
Good advice about just buying your terminal tackle over there as you might see different tackle (hook sizes etc) or better unexpected tactics for the different species..
I'd personally just bring a good reel and line and then put a telescopic rod and some tackle into the check-in case.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Teegerstk » Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

[quote="kieran"][/quote]
Thanks for the advice Kieran

I went to Lanzarote around April last year in Playa Blanca. I bought all the tackle out there, couldn't find a proper tackle shop so I had to resort to those imported rod kits, the usual telescopic crap rod with a dodgy reel. I finally found some small stall that sold very expensive end tackle (i picked up a few floats, packs of shot and hooks) and rods that didn't look like they were worth buying.I fished off of a very small pier that was near the main harbour at PB and also off one of the breakwaters of Playa dorada.

I copied what others did and used bread on a float, picking up a few small mullet, then the bogue baitfish and a few other mini species. I also caught a schoolie of 1 or 2lbs on a lure which made me want to bring the few lures. I was hoping to bring my stuff in a small box to be put in the checked in luggage, a few SP's, plugs and metals. If anyone could let me know about a tackle shop withing the town I would really appreciate it.

Last year I fished off of a very small pier that was near the main harbour at PB and also off one of the breakwaters of Playa dorada. I'm hoping to pick up a few bigger fish on bait, maybe something to cook up on the BBQ back at the villa! I am thinking of bringing a cheap telescopic rod to pack in the suitcase, if it won't fit i'll see if i can buy one out there but i never found a reliable shop. We always bring 2 checked in bags so I would have space for any tackle I would bring.

Also thanks Chuckaroo for the advice. I've done a lot of research on the fishing there and I've got some very small (size 14s!) hooks for the mini species and a few different hooks and traces for other fish. Although if i can find out if theres a decent tackle shop over there i'd just bring a reel.

Speaking of reels, last year i packed the reel i had bought out there into hand luggage and as i went through security i was told to de-spool it as the line could be used as a 'weapon'. Since choking out air hostesses with fishing line isn't my thing, i didn't bother taking the line off and just chucked it
Thanks all
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby eoghanb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am

Just get a length of drainpipe and two end caps,wrap the rod in a towel or something ,there will be lots of space in the tube for tackle if you pack the tube like your playing Tetris .might even be enough room to fit a small reel
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers