Norway, Senja Island. Aug 2016 - Big But!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Returned from a much anticipated trip to Senja Island last week in North Norway
It was mainly a freshwater fly fishing trip but I also organised a 6 hour sea fishing trip out of Hamn on my last day.
Now it wasn't the season for the BIG cod (up to 40lb - January to April) but it was still worth heading out to 'scratch'..
Spent a couple of hours trying for wolffish without success but I fared rightly. Super trip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuckaroo on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Norway, Senja Island. Aug 2016 - Big Butt!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:32 pm

The pick of the fly fishing species hunt..:

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Some nice codling and dabs there Chuckaroo!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 am

Well Done chuckaroo looks class!! the turbot is HUGE!!

Out of curiosity how did you booking the trip?? i.e. through a company or jus picked up flights and accom separate???

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:11 am

Great stuff Charlie, looks a great trip all round. Not bad for a 'scratching' session there on the boat, lovely Halibut. Well done on the fly-fishing species hunt- char, grayling and sea-trout?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Paddy002 wrote:Well Done chuckaroo looks class!! the turbot is HUGE!!

Out of curiosity how did you book the trip?? i.e. through a company or jus pick up flights and accom separate???

Hi Paddy. The companies usually organise for larger groups and this way the people going can share the price. But there were only two of us so it was less expensive to just pick up flights and accomodation of our own, that's what we did. I just then had to do some homework and arrange for a guide for parts of it.

Sweetwrasse wrote:Great stuff Charlie, looks a great trip all round. Not bad for a 'scratching' session there on the boat, lovely Halibut. Well done on the fly-fishing species hunt- char, grayling and sea-trout?

Thanks Robin. Halibut was 85lb, was chuffed with that :) freshwater species from top to bottom are char, grayling, brown trout and sea trout. The brown trout were from a cold glacial-meltwater river, they were very creamy pale, quite different from many of our own, they were stunning - as were the char!
It was an up and down trip tbh, we had higher expectations - more and bigger fish. We had to work hard some day but guess I can't complain too much! :mrgreen: stunning country

Re: Norway, Senja Island. Aug 2016 - Big But!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:06 pm

Cheers Chuck! i want to put some sort of a plan together and get the father on board

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:13 pm

What rod/ tackle were u using on the boat trip?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Bigboned wrote:What rod/ tackle were u using on the boat trip?

I didn't take much note of the rod brand or weight to be honest Bigboned. It was quite lightweight and the small multiplier was loaded with what looked like about 60-80lb braid with around 8ft of heavy shockleader. The cod were caught on unbaited leadheads with coloured rubber tails jigged near the bottom, the halibut took a larger leadhead that had been modified to include a large single hook and a treble, it was baited with a small 1/2lb coley and drifted near the bottom too.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Great pictures as ever Charlie, youre ticking off the trips now nicely, fair play to you - when you say youre going - you do it

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Fantastic, well done. Nice flounder :wink:

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Great fishing Charlie. Char are probably my favorite fish to catch.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Rob Millard wrote:Fantastic, well done. Nice flounder :wink:
Thanks Rob. That 'flounder' fought hard, it came to the surface 4 times and 4 times it went back down again, I thought that my arms were going to fall off lol. Seriously strong big flatties.

jack01986 wrote:Great fishing Charlie. Char are probably my favorite fish to catch.
Thanks Jack. Char are definitely up there as one of the prettiest freshwater fish there is, I'd agree; as a big brown trout/salmonid fan I was blown away when I landed the first one :shock: There was an iridescent blue off their flanks and backs that isn't apparent in my pics. Stunning fish.
Have you caught char before? Where? Am hoping to get to Iceland next year..

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Amazing trip Charlie... Love that Halibut...

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 am

simplywabs wrote:Amazing trip Charlie... Love that Halibut...

Thanks Wilbert. Are you getting out much?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:15 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
jack01986 wrote:Great fishing Charlie. Char are probably my favorite fish to catch.
Thanks Jack. Char are definitely up there as one of the prettiest freshwater fish there is, I'd agree; as a big brown trout/salmonid fan I was blown away when I landed the first one :shock: There was an iridescent blue off their flanks and backs that isn't apparent in my pics. Stunning fish.

I've caught a few of them in Iceland there is some crazy colour variations in them as well. We missed a few bigger ones on the dry fly which would have been cool but they went down after casting at them. I thought I wold get a trip to Iceland next year but that will be on hold for another year as I'll be getting married at the end of the summer :shock: !

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

jack01986 wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:

I've caught a few of them in Iceland there is some crazy colour variations in them as well. We missed a few bigger ones on the dry fly which would have been cool but they went down after casting at them. I thought I wold get a trip to Iceland next year but that will be on hold for another year as I'll be getting married at the end of the summer :shock: !

Cool. Can I ask where you fished in Iceland?? - a friend and I will be looking at options over the winter. We are hoping to just plan the trip ourselves, have you any advice?
Did you fish Lake Thingvallavatn? or did you explore other areas?
We primarily want to flyfish for brown trout but char will be high on the agenda too.. Would really appreciate some insight/guidance..

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
jack01986 wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:

Cool. Can I ask where you fished in Iceland?? - a friend and I will be looking at options over the winter. We are hoping to just plan the trip ourselves, have you any advice?
Did you fish Lake Thingvallavatn? or did you explore other areas?
We primarily want to flyfish for brown trout but char will be high on the agenda too.. Would really appreciate some insight/guidance..

I'll send you a PM later. I pretty much did the same as you are planning. I didn't get a chance to fish Thingvallavatn but it was very close to the river we fished.