Jamaica

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Jamaica

Postby Paddy002 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Reports a bit late but at the start of July myself and herself headed to Jamacia. I had checked out certain charter companies before I left and was pretty disappointed as most of the companies had a policy of making all the people on the charter to draw a card to decide the order of who reeled in the catch which I though was Bo!!ox and had pretty much decided I was not going to bother going fishing…

Anyhoo on our first morning we took an early walk down the beach chatting to various locals on the way (mostly) trying to sell you weed! In Jamicia on the beach where we were the water quickly drops off to a meter deep of crystal clear blue water allowing boats to moor right in on the sand. So as we were walking I came across a pretty old boat loaded with rods and started talking to its owner “Danny” as it turned out he was a local working at his own fishing charter. We agreed to head out the next morning @ 6am, 180USD for 4 hours which seems pricey but I was happy as it was just going to be the Skipper and myself.

I arrived bright and early with a beer in hand, which the Skipper wasn’t too happy about but off we went!! We headed out of Bloody Bay in search of Tuna. So we put out two lures on two large Penn reels and another two lures on booms made of branches from either side of the boat to space everything out and avoid getting tangled!

After about 2 hours of trolling we had picked up 4 tuna 2 skipjack and 2 yellow fin on a mix of the hand lines and rods and missed 2 or 3 more. All weighed in @ approx 10-15 lb relatively small but even at that size they are a powerful fish!!!
Later in the morning we headed ot the edge of a reef to do some bottom fishing where we dropped anchor and changed to lighter gear. We pulled up various different fish off the reef that the skipper was more than happy to keep. The parrot fish is the only 1 I can remember the name of so fish ID’s welcome!!

At 10am we headed back to shore and the skipper gave me one of the tuna and told me bring it into the chef in the hotel at they would happily cook it up.. So after signing a waiver I came back at lunch time to a huge plate of grilled tuna with onions and peppers, it was bar far the best fish I have tasted.

Overall it was a great trip and if I ever return I would definitely go with the locals before going with a company!!
Attachments
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:
Mackerel, Dog Fish, Whiting, 3 bearded rockling

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting

For this message the author Paddy002 has received thanks:
ShaneH (Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:58 pm)
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Re: Jamaica

Postby Paddy002 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm

more pics
Attachments
6.PNG
7.PNG
8.PNG
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Great stuff paddy, you caught some decent fish all-in. looked a nice fishing trip! 8)
yeah, sounds pricey especially for a wee boat that size and for only 4 hours.. but anyway, it looked worth it.
The dark fish looks like a trigger fish of some sort, I guess!
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby 5turbo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Looked like an amazing morning, lunch didnt look to bad either!! regards the price . . . Its not everyday you get the oportunity to fish in a paradise . . Small price to pay for a once in a lifetime event comes to mind.. . .
5turbo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Paddy002 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 am

your spot on chuck and i think the other really colorful fella is a parrot fish.
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:

2016 Species:

2015 species:
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:14 am

The dark fish is a Black Triggerfish: http://www.fishbase.us/summary/SpeciesS ... php?id=966
The colourful fish is actually a Yellowhead Wrasse: http://www.fishbase.us/summary/SpeciesS ... hp?id=3663
The red fish I'm not sure about, there are a few species that look very similar and are slightly trickier to distinguish. Have a look here and see if you can figure it out: http://www.fishbase.us/identification/R ... tBy=family There are 12 pages identifying Jamaican species on that link. My guess is that the red one is a grouper of some sort, possibly the Red Hind.
Some other nice species that you could have caught too!.. :)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:06 pm

The fish with the red spots is "strawberry grouper. I think that the silver fish at the top is a bluefish.
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Postby Paddy002 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:40 am

Stan wrote:The fish with the red spots is "strawberry grouper. I think that the silver fish at the top is a bluefish.

Silver fish is a black fin tuna
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:

2016 Species:

2015 species:
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Stan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Grand. The bottom lip made me think Bluefish......fins though indicate tuna.
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers