Fishing in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Licence?

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Fishing in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Licence?

Postby Teegerstk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, I'm going to Lanzarote in mid April and I was wondering do I really need a licence to fish? I have read forums where people said that you don't need a licence if you are a tourist, but I don't want to be fined €300 either. It's a lot of hastle to get a licence.

Finally where abouts is good to fish in Playa Blanca?

Thanks
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Fishing in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Licence?

Postby kieran » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am

If you are fishing near the harbours, you can be nabbed and have your gear confiscated. It has rarely happened but...
Technically you do need a licence but most people do not bother.

If you are fishing off the harbours, fish from the breakwaters out rather than in - better fish and you are less visible to a patrolling jobsworth, Avoid fishing for the mullet as they appear to be protected in all the harbours.

If you do a search on Lanzarote you will find lots of information on the species, tackle and bait to be used. Everything can be bought locally...

Enjoy!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Fishing in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Licence?

Postby JimC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:19 pm

As said, technically you do need a licence. Getting one is meant to be some ordeal :)
I have fished soft lures from the shore over that way without any problem (I never had a licence). I take a travel rod. It is inconspicuous anyway. Kieran is correct... do no fish inside breakwaters and do not be tempted by the mullet arounds marinas etc. I'm not sure if they are protected but it is certainly frowned upon. The locals do not fish for them either.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers