Clearwater / Tampa

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Clearwater / Tampa

Postby Viper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Looks like I might have sorted myself out a free house for the month of August in Clearwater :D
Anyone with any experience in fishing out there, places to fish from shore, recommended charters, boat rental etc. ?
Best advice just might get a spare room !
Viper
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Re: Clearwater / Tampa

Postby Stan » Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Clearwater has a magnificent beach with beautiful white sand. You may see stingrays swimming in the water just a few yards out with the local lifeguards shouting at people to leave the water . The pier has vg fishing with great facilities including live bait storage on pier and drop nets. I have not been there since 1997 but believe it is still as good as it was when I was there.

Do not cast out straight out from the end of the pier as the previous pier was washed away by a hurricane leaving the remains there.

Using v small feathers you can catch pin fish and store them in the live bait wells and use them for larger fish. You can also buy squid at the top of the pier or from a local angling shop. A shrimp pot can be bought and will catch you bait which will tempt whiting.

Speckled sea trout, snook, sharks and ray were caught when I was there.

You will need a local fishing licence plus one to use the pier.

You cannot fish on the beach by day ( sharks) bit when I was there could do so by night.

Its a great place. Tight lines

Let us know how you get on.

Give me a buzz if you have any Q's.

For this message the author Stan has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Sat May 02, 2015 12:33 am), JimC (Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 pm), krisreid (Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:20 pm)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers