Canary Islands: Lanzarote

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Canary Islands: Lanzarote

Postby BigMon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:04 am

could we get a separarate forum for the varius canary isles. please, I'm going in june- anybody know of any good marks?
BigMon

forums

Postby kieran » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi

My idea at the start of this is that you would start a new thread on this forum for each location, so all the information on Fuerteventura for example would be posted on the thread I started and if BigMon, for example you were heading to Lanzarote (best island for fishing) then you would start a thread just looking for information. So, fire ahead! :wink:

Hope this helps...
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Canary Islands Fishing

Postby yappo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi,

Fished in Lanzarote last year have a look at this site http://www.anasegundo.com I went out with them. Picked up from apartment in the south of the island brought to Porto del Carmen, boat left harbour about 9:00a.m. trolled big lures behind the boat without much luck. Anchored up and bottom fished caught a lot of small fish like pollock. Freelined one of these on light gear and caught a Bonito --- type of tuna I believe. Back to harbour about 4.00 p.m. brought back to apartment all for 60 euro can't be bad, also got a few beers and bite to eat on board. Although fishing not great it was a nice break from lying around pool or beach.
Sunny SouthWest
yappo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 70 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:46 pm

of the back of the pier at porto del carmen, float fishing and spinning produces good catches, in side the pier wall float fishing only..
dunno what any of the fish are but their small and strong, give a better fight than doggies do...
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby iona » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:25 pm

i fished on that boat as well.

had several small tuna and king mackerel to 15lbs.

on the bottom with a pilchard as bait got 2 stingrays 48 & 75lbs.

fished with Tino Garcia since then from puerto calero and had tuna to 30lbs but also seen ones into the hundreds.

when he anchors snapper and stiped bass are the target fish but they don't tend to be all that big 5lbs is the best i have seen.

shore wise its mullet heaven. loads of fish to 7lbs.
i have also had parrot fish , garfish and quite a few bream + a few i couldn't name. not much luck with the barracuda though just had a couple of follows.

bread best for the mullet, squid + prawn will take the bream. small salted crabs sold in jars best for the parrot fish.
why does yer last cast always take an hour?

http://www.freewebs.com/ayrsac/index.htm (update july 2011)
iona
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

Holiday Snappers

Postby tigerfish » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:49 pm

You should always cop on when the skipper has more than 6 on board but only sets up 6 sets of trolling gear and doesn't do a draw for the rods. Was out with Tino a few times, even knowing he wasnt serious about fishing, but a day out is a day out, not a day trailing a mad shopper. Got fed up last year and gave out about him to an English angler I met who just happened to know him, got introduced and was brought out with serious anglers, we gave it a go and caught some nice fish. No records but it wasn't tiddler bashing. Tell him you want serious fishing not messing, he told me last year he would reserve one day a week for serious fishing, depending on what is moving. Going there on 14th May, let you know one week later. :D
tigerfish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

update?

Postby kieran » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Hi

Heading off in a week, got a day free for some rock hopping, been told of good marks but wondering if anyone has specific and recent info?

Bringing some No 68 Yellow Hammer 26 g Tassie Devils with me, which I am told are the business there... Damn things never arrived but I can see why they work, they are perfect replicas for small annular bream, so ideal for lure fishing off the beaches and mixed rocky grounds. Not so sure as to how well they would work off the bigger deeper rock marks.

Thanks
Last edited by kieran on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Faro Pecheguria and El Golfo (west coast)

Postby kieran » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi

We tried the cliffs at the Pecheguria lighthouse but the waves were too big and the marks too dangerous. Got one spectacular hit and missed it - and then landed an anchovy like thing barely bigger than the lure! We had to give up as it was a very precarious perch and the ground below was very foul. Very difficult to float fish or leger from 30 metres up...

Look at the beach at Salinas de Janubio which I am told has snappers but it was almost low water and did not look the best. Weird looking at a black sand beach mind. Decided to try for a safe rock fishing platform.

Moved up the coast to El Golfo and found a nice deep keyhole shaped gully at the north end of the strip. Did loads of tiddler bashing on low water - picked up more anchovies, facio (silver things, big ones would be spectacular) and lots of ornate wrasse (that's the name and also a good description). Bottom is not as bad as the volcanic rocks and the rock pools are stuffed with blennies and the like, so lots of sea life there...

I tried spinning out on the seaward side but got drowned with the spray. You need waders with really good grips on the boots here and elsewhere on the island. The beaches (other than the main holiday resorts where the pollution stops them showing up) should not be waded barefoot as they hold lots of weaverfish, including greater weavers (30 cms long).

As the tide turned we hit some nice bream on the bottom, will post photos shortly, all on a whole prawn on a 3/0 hook. Best was a common around a kilo mark, very tasty, the rest I have no idea what they are.. could not find them on fishbase even, so if anyone can help, much appreciated.

What struck us was how we got four different bream in eight casts, and bites on all the others... also picked up a tiny grouper - bream are supposed to be shoaling fish, so it owuld be worth seeing whether it was the turn of the tide, low sun position and/or our groundbaiting from the float fishing that brought the fish into that gully. Anyone looking for really good light tackle sport (think wrasse only a lot faster), now you know....

For the record the travel rods worked fine, coped very well with the bream (fight like wrasse but kite around and love diving towards rocks, exciting stuff). Use mono not braid as the rocks are razor sharp above the tide line! Be especially careful walking out there, one missed foot fall and you are ruined. It is all volcanic rock and a fearsome place to walk.

Bizarrely I did a half hour at dusk on the rocks at PDC and took in some annular bream (small). Waded out to give one a better chance of survival, out of the surf, and a shoal of them being chased by a small bluefish (30 cms) came into view. Also saw what looked like small spotted bar in the surf in broad daylight. Size 2 or 4 hooks and bits of prawn either float fished or on the bottom would keep you entertained.

Locals use small crabs from a jar for parrotfish off the rocks too, but you need wire traces to cope with the teeth!

Anyone know what a "moreno" is in local parlance, drop me a PM, thanks.
And yes it is a fish! :wink:
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers