Info on fishing in clear water florida .??????

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Not sure if this is in the right place . We are booking a trip away in may/June . We are planning to go to clear water for a week. As you know I'm a fishing nut and the idea of going there is to see the place and get in some fishing. . There is a pier there called pier 60. I'm hoping someone here has gone there and give me some info on the fishing and the ins and outs over there. Eg licence / gear bait . And charter we hope to get out boat fishing at least once. Any help at all is welcome. Thanks.

Re: Info on fishing in clear water florida .??????

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Pm Sent

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:38 pm

fastnet wrote:Pm Sent

Thanks fast net.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:12 pm

The lads at lurefish ireland fished there recently, maybe send them an email .:)

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 am

Hi. You do need a license. http://myfwc.com/license/

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:30 pm

It's 15 years since I was there. The fishing was good from the pier. My two boys were young at the time. Usually we caught pin fish for bait and also put down a shrimp pot down along on of the pier supports.

The pier itself is very well set up with live bait wells and drop needs available.

First cast my youngest caught a speckled sea-trout of about 3-4lb. As it was outside the season it was returned quickly. Snook were very plentiful under the pier but not easy to catch. Stingray up to about 8lb were caught. We also hooked 2 sharks but could not stop them on the gear that we were using. I cannot remember all of the varieties that we caught but do remember that we were kept constantly busy. With the shrimps we caught a fish that they call whiting. They are totally different to our whiting but are good to catch and eat.

As far as I remember we got a licence locally . You will also need a permit to fish on the pier.

Fishing is not allowed on the beach during the daylight in case it draws sharks in.

We did a half days boat fishing on a charter called "Fanta Sea". It was a total waste of time as many of these charter boats in holiday locations are.
After an initial troll out to a reef we anchored up with heavy rods and reels. Lots of fish up to about 2 lb obliged in taking the bait but there was no fun pulling them in on tuna gear.

If you intend to do some boat fishing it would be worth doing a good bit of research to find a good skipper .

Tight lines.