Permits and Licences Abroad

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 pm



Licences required ... g/#permits
A Sports Fishing Licence (Licença de Pesca Desportiva) is needed for sea fishing.
You can get a licence at a Multibanco Machine.

When purchasing a licence from a Multibanco machine, a passport number and a Número de Indentificação Fiscal (NIF) is required; foreign visitors can bypass this requirement by entering the passport number twice, instead of the NIF. A printed receipt will be issued; this can be photocopied but should not be laminated, and must be carried with photo identification when fishing.


A regional fishing licence, or rod licence, (permiso/licencia de pesca) is required to fish both inland and sea waters in Spain. ... e/fishing/

For those planning on coming to Spain to fish, it may be advantageous to obtain a foreign fishing licence prior to arriving in Spain. Holders of an existing foreign licence will not be required to take an exam in Spanish and may obtain a fishing licence online from Telelicencia. ... 13&t=32337


Sea fishing is unlicensed, although regulations such as respecting fishing periods and minimum size of the fish must be followed.

Freshwater fishing is not permitted without a licence:

Category A permit allows professional fishing
Category B permit allows recreational fishing


No licence required for sea fishing in France ... guide/sea/ ... =13&t=6069


In the Netherlands a fishing permit is required for angling at sea. It is called zeeVISpas and can be obtained in angling shops (Hengelsport). One does not have to join a club to get the zeeVISpas, even if most websites suggest this. ... ences.html


No licence is needed to fish from the shore.

A fishing licence is needed in Greece to fish from a boat or with a spear or harpoon. Licences are obtained from local port authorities or the local coast guard office and are valid for two years. ... e/fishing/


Anyone 16 years of age and older does need to purchase at least a 1-Day fishing license in order to fish in the State of California. ... scrip.html

New York

No Fee but
Anglers age 16 and older need to register if they are:

Fishing in the Marine and Coastal District, which includes all the waters of the Atlantic Ocean within three miles from the coast, and all other tidal waters within the state, including the Hudson River up to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Fishing any water, such as the Hudson River, Delaware River, or Mohawk River and their tributaries, for "migratory fish from the sea" such as striped bass, hickory shad, blueback herring, alewife. (Please review the license requirements in the Hudson River Fishing Regulations for more information).

New Jersey

Individual saltwater anglers ages 16 and older MUST register if ANY of the following criteria are met:

Recreationally fish with a hand line or rod and line, spearfish or fish by hand
Recreationally fish in the marine and fresh tidal waters of the State of New Jersey
Recreationally fish in marine waters outside the State of New Jersey but land the catch in New Jersey


What is the cost of the MA Permit?
The annual cost for both residents and non-residents is $10. ... rmits.html


Licence required

Nonresident Annual Saltwater Fishing
Nonresident 3-Day Saltwater Fishing
Nonresident 7-Day Saltwater Fishing
$30.00 ... r-fishing/


Recreational fishing permits cost N$14 per month or N$168 per year

Re: Permits and Licences Abroad

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:04 pm

If anyone has information on licenses/permits/regulations in other countries let me know and I'll add to the post above.

Re: Permits and Licences Abroad

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:33 pm

jd wrote:If anyone has information on licenses/permits/regulations in other countries let me know and I'll add to the post above.

Handy info for Namibia:

Re: Permits and Licences Abroad

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 pm ... ishing.htm

if you feel out the application form on the link Victor will get you a shore fishing licence for the canary islands valid for 3 years you pay via paypal has used this service and it was all above board

when you click on the link scroll down page then click on fishing

Re: Permits and Licences Abroad

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 pm

More on Greece. The "from the shore" is a little more complicated than described. If you want to fish more than 300m from the shore, you must have a valid licence. You can get one of these from the police in the local large town, but (as might be expected in Greece) there is a bureaucratic catch: you can only get a licence if you have a tax number, which effectively means that no tourist can legally fish from a boat. However, there I have seen fishing trips on boats out of Hersonnisos and Agia Galina (both on Crete) so there's clearly some way around this, by fair means or foul!