Re: Portugal - a warning!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 am

ShaneH wrote::roll: how are they scum they are doing there job would you call the guards scum for confiscating fishing gear from someone illegally fishing for Bass or sea trout :?:

Completely agree, technically I was in the wrong and he was doing his job. He just followed the letter of the law to the maximum and was completely unphased to our pleas. But look at it this way, beteween the 4 of us we spent around 9k on flights, accomodation and food for the week. Which do you think the Portugese economy needs more, 9k or a couple of hundred from selling the gear on ebay...? Up to that point we were going to go back next year around the same time, and next year we definitly wont now.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 am

It will be interesting to see what if any reply you get!
Did you get issued with receipts for your gear etc?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am

Eoghan wrote:beteween the 4 of us we spent around 9k on flights, accomodation and food for the week. ... Up to that point we were going to go back next year around the same time, and next year we definitly wont now.

Killer point. Hammer it home in any letters you write.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:35 pm

I have heard nothing back as yet. I will call both embassies tomorrow if not. We did get official fines on headed paper etc, with reference numbers. I expect I will need those if anyone comes back to me. At least there is a chance it may be traced and may stop them selling the equipment.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Just a little story...

In the movie "Shawshank Redemption" the lead character, Andy Dufresne starts writing a weekly letter to the Government in 1953, and for several years, does not get a response. He wants to improve the prison library and is asking for help from the Government.

In 1959, a shipment of used and unwanted library materials has come in from the State, along with a check for $200 to fob him off. Andy responds to this with excitement, noting that it took six years for the State to respond. Andy now says he will write two letters a week instead of one!

In 1962, the State finally got tired of Andy’s twice-a-week letter campaign, and decided to give him an annual payment of $500. By 1963, the Library was recognized as the largest and the best in New England. The letter ended with the phrase "and please refrain to send us any more letters".

“Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
― Stephen King, The Shawshank Redemption

[u]http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2248680-different-seasons[/u]

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm going to look at this another way when I go on holiday I do a google search on that area for fishing information in 30 seconds I found out you need a licence to sea fish in Portugal since 2007 same as the Canaries,mainland Spain etc.ignorance is not a excuse.I hope I'm not coming across as a arse and you was very unlucky to get caught but it is the law of the land.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:21 pm

ahhh jaysus...thats tough luck bud...if those cops are using your gear like one of the lads said above,they'll have no luck for it boy...bummer laad.tis a small wheel that turns...
Last edited by lucky13 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Eoghan wrote:He just followed the letter of the law to the maximum and was completely unphased to our pleas.

I feel for you and all, a tough one by all accounts and it certainly will put you off from another holiday there, regrettably it is your responsibility to get accustomed with common law from the country you plan to visit. Don't waste your time writing letters because that's precisely what the requirements are everywhere and failing to inform yourself will not be tolerated.
However, I cant help the feeling that you as an angler are not a target for the Portuguese tourism industry anymore.
There are not a lot of fish left in Portugal since the mid seventies when I spent a few summers there and fish were abundant everywhere. The building boom and all the madness started too at the time, Hotels, Restaurants, Infrastructure - everything was dedicated to the tourism Moloch and full employment propaganda and lots of places were totally destroyed by pure greed, mismanagement and corruption. Sounds familiar?
Lagos, Sagres and all these pictoresque villages towns alongside the Algarve are not romantic fishing villages anymore today. Poverty stricken Portugal relies heavily on revenue from tourism. But not angling tourism. No money to be made out of anglers because of lack of fish. Well the only way to make money out of anglers is the situation you have experienced. Make it as difficult as possible to be legal. Cash in on the fine and confiscate the gear.
Ok, the guy you have encountered was only doing his job without falling for love nor money - and to be honest, we could do with a few of his type here. Still, is this the future we are facing too? The imagination alone leaves an unpleasant taste behind...

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:00 pm

mrjim wrote:I'm going to look at this another way when I go on holiday I do a google search on that area for fishing information in 30 seconds I found out you need a licence to sea fish in Portugal since 2007 same as the Canaries,mainland Spain etc.ignorance is not a excuse.I hope I'm not coming across as a arse and you was very unlucky to get caught but it is the law of the land.

No you are completely right. Its our fault for not looking into it enough. I did google "fish of portugal" and spoke to people more than anything else. As for tourism, we did not go there to fish, just packed the rods in case myself and the bro in law got the chance to try it, so I didnt really do any homework on it. I just feel that it was a little short sighted on his behalf. A slap on the wrist or even to produce a license within 24 hours I think would be correct as we are tourists, not angling tourists. It was a family holiday, not a fishing holiday. Bottom line is next year we will spend our money elsewhere because one guy couldnt see the possiblity that a tourist may not have know to spend €3 on a license.

Like I said I have moved on and ordered another okuma 40S from Viking tackle today. Im not expecting anything back, just trying to help those like myself who may not have known. Call it ignorance or whatever you like, I like to think it costs nothing to be nice.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 pm

ShaneH wrote::roll: how are they scum they are doing there job would you call the guards scum for confiscating fishing gear from someone illegally fishing for Bass or sea trout :?:

Bit harder to prove I would have thought unless you had bass or seatrout in your box, most people use the excuse" im fishing for mackerel, pollock or coalie", so I dont get your point on guards confiscating rods, maybe if you had of said what if the guards caught you half way up a salmon river up to ur balls in brackish water :lol: then I would certainly not call them scum because im from Ireland and I know the rules. I would have thought they would have gave Eoghan a telling off as he was a tourist and told him to stop fishing and leave, not take the guys rods and reels and spoil a holiday for them, they where out to make a quick euro by the sounds of things, so I stand over my original comment.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Licenses are needed in many EU countries but usually they will turn a blind eye to tourists. Having traveled the world on business there is always the official who follows the law to a tee. I often wonder do they abuse their uniform :!: :!:

In Africa every man with a badge sees visitors as a target for bribes :!: :!:

Eoghan you spent quite a lot of money going to Portugal. This cop has done his country a lot of damage.

I am just back from Caiscais. It is beautiful place and I would have considered returning. After your post, if you do not receive a reply from the embassy, I will not bother returning.

I checked out the locals fishing and only small fish were caught.
Lisbon fishing 1.jpg

Loads of anglers but little fish.

I think that the Canaries give a better chance of a good fish....and a license can be bought online.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Eoghan wrote:A slap on the wrist or even to produce a license within 24 hours I think would be correct as we are tourists

Nope, I'm sorry man, but your point doesn't cut the mustard in many parts of the globe. This incident only proves again how lucky we are here in Ireland.
In countries like Croatia, Slovenia or Turkey you don't just only pay a fine and face confiscation of your gear and motor, no, these guys have the power to take away your passport as well and throw you in jail until you cough up the goods.
In Turkey it is enough to try and bring pebbles from a beach with you over the border, you are immediately guilty of smuggling historic artifacts and you could immediately end up in jail for that 'heinous crime'. :wink:
Unless you know someone and are able to pay your way out of it. :roll:
There is even a movie about it from a German chap spending 6 years behind bars there because he thought he is right and disregarded their laws.
As a conclusion, it is better to check up on all the facts and pitfalls before you go for a vacation and be sure to understand the local laws as well, if in doubt ask in your hotel or tourist agency. Or even better, stay in Ireland. The most beautiful country on earth, believe me. Despite all its flaws and shortcomings, good old Eire is still the most charming, humane and friendly country in the free world. :D

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Guys this isn't a boo hoo pity me post, this was meant to stop other idiots like me doing the same and losing their gear. :-)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:14 am

Maybe it would be a good idea idea for a stickie in this forum - angling regulations around the world :)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

Good suggestion JD.

We are one of the few countries where a licence is not required.

I have fished in many places around the world and I always check the requirements before I set up the rod
Last edited by Stan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am

Good idea JD, from what I can gather im one of the few who didnt know this or didnt bother to really check. Just never occured to me. I have never fished abroad before, apart from boats. But if we stop one more person getting done then its worth it.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm

thats a great idea plus how would you go about getting a licence for that region

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Eoghan wrote:Good idea JD, from what I can gather im one of the few who didnt know this or didnt bother to really check. Just never occured to me. I have never fished abroad before, apart from boats. But if we stop one more person getting done then its worth it.

should have got a second chance :roll:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Ok I started a sticky on licences/permits etc abroad
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43357

I'll add more info to the first post as I get it

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm

The Austrian wrote:
Eoghan wrote:He just followed the letter of the law to the maximum and was completely unphased to our pleas.

I feel for you and all, a tough one by all accounts and it certainly will put you off from another holiday there, regrettably it is your responsibility to get accustomed with common law from the country you plan to visit. Don't waste your time writing letters because that's precisely what the requirements are everywhere and failing to inform yourself will not be tolerated.
However, I cant help the feeling that you as an angler are not a target for the Portuguese tourism industry anymore.
There are not a lot of fish left in Portugal since the mid seventies when I spent a few summers there and fish were abundant everywhere. The building boom and all the madness started too at the time, Hotels, Restaurants, Infrastructure - everything was dedicated to the tourism Moloch and full employment propaganda and lots of places were totally destroyed by pure greed, mismanagement and corruption. Sounds familiar?
Lagos, Sagres and all these pictoresque villages towns alongside the Algarve are not romantic fishing villages anymore today. Poverty stricken Portugal relies heavily on revenue from tourism. But not angling tourism. No money to be made out of anglers because of lack of fish. Well the only way to make money out of anglers is the situation you have experienced. Make it as difficult as possible to be legal. Cash in on the fine and confiscate the gear.
Ok, the guy you have encountered was only doing his job without falling for love nor money - and to be honest, we could do with a few of his type here. Still, is this the future we are facing too? The imagination alone leaves an unpleasant taste behind...

Don't agree at all. Logic and common sense would have dictated that he was a misinformed or uninformed tourist who was fishing. The reason for discretionary sentencing in courts is because every case is different and includes different circumstances. If law were enforced pedantically we would probably all be behind bars. It is counterproductive to a state to alienate the general public from its law enforcement officers, however overzealousness and a lack of common sense by some sheet heads often irrevocably alienates joe public.

And there goes my two cents worth................ :D