Cancun, Mexico May2012

Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 am

I dont post very often but thought id stick this one up.

Just back from 2 weeks in Mexico, leaving the other half (Peace at last) I took a half day charter out at the great rate of $125 with transport to and from the hotel. First time deep sea fishing i might add.

The boat consisted of myself, and 3 Americans...one still hammered from the evening before, which made for some early morning entertainment, And the usual Irish lucky charm burden put on myself.

Pics to show

First catches went to the Americans, with a couple of small mahi mahi and a small black fin tuna.

Beginners luck was not and was not on my side for my first go...50-60lb white marlin, came off about 15 feet from the boat.

Talk about wanting to cry...

After a red snapper and an Amberjack pulled up, was my shot again. This time I did manage to land it (after a 10 minute fight to pull it up from the bottom and was a fairly impressive 32lb amberjack. Well chuffed and definatley a experience i will never forget.

Hats off to the drunk American though, coming into the end of the day and a 40 minute fight on his hands, he landed a 90lb 7ft 10" Sailfish. What an expectionally beautiful fish and I count myself very very lucky to have seen one in the flesh. Apparantly a good size as its coming to the end of the season for them. However I do feel he should have put it back, not get it mounted for his trophy fish wall.

All in all, a fantastic days fishing..minus a dose of sea sickness (so i told her...too many beers the culprit) and a fairly large tropical downpour.

Hope you enjoy the pics, need more than 5 to show though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cancun, Mexico May2012

Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Drunken Americans and a sober Irishman :shock: what's the world coming to. well done that's some fish you caught ,nice report.

Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

lovely report dave and fish is top class.its something im hoping to do in a near future is to do south america for a month travelling and if i do il certainly give these boys ago.nice to mix a bit of mexican into an irish fishing forum.good man well done.keep the reports coming too

Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks very much guys, i often go on the forum but i just browse over everyones reports getting a tad jealous haha

i would recommend the company i went fishing with 100%, really good service and they have an onsite restaurant where they can cook u a meal with your catch or for free the staff on board will fillet the fish and let u take it with you back to your hotel so you can get it cooked there.

Yes I was sober upon boarding the boat, but they are well stocked on free beers on board, and what else is there to do while you wait for a bite, so between that, a fairly choppy sea at one stage and ridiculous heat, kind of took its toll on me and did spend sometime with the head overboard...7am drinking is always recommended. not having breakfast isn't.

Wed May 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Great report Dave....cracking amberjack :D :D :D

Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm

great report dave, thanks for posting
some lovely fish there and great pics man
looked like a very memorable day 8) tad jealous myself :wink:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Cracking pic did it myself many years ago when I was with the ex-wife got a few nice barracuda give some fight... Its some flight that's the killer and stopping in Miami. Did you see any of the gaters in the lagoon.... :shock:

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Cracking fish there mate, i would love to catch a sailfish, it would be some video to look back on, also the bigger wahi wahi(dolphin fish) in my experience is one of the best fights you will ever get of a fish, there do not stop jumping out the water and bash there heads of the side of the boat, anyhow crackin fish pal and a nice haul too

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 pm

thats some report,something i iove to do great fishing bud :wink: