Wellington, NZ

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 am

Caught this kahawai last week, only got a chance to put up the photo now. Came in at 50cm so should be about 4lb.
Back home now with me today so he's the last one . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Wellington, NZ

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Gorgeous looking fish!

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah they are great looking alright, markings similar to a mackeral maybe?
Great fight out of them and they hit the bait like an express train! Good eating too, but kiwis dismiss them a bit they all say you have to smoke them, but then again kiwis will smoke anything that moves!

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 pm

I was thinking a bit of sea trout blood in them somewhere, with the body shape and the round markings. Mackeral was too easy a call!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 am

australian salmon :lol: or kahawai lovely fish !did you bleed it? they are nice off the bbq or smoked :mrgreen: did you get it on a lure?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 pm

nice fish

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 pm

roger de dodger wrote:australian salmon

Is this the one that JPS usually includes in his catch reports from UpSideDownLand?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm

roger de dodger wrote:australian salmon :lol: or kahawai lovely fish !did you bleed it? they are nice off the bbq or smoked :mrgreen: did you get it on a lure?

Didn't bleed it but i did spike it straight away, don't they say that does the same job as bleeding it?

No, caught it off pilchard on a standard flapper rig, though when you get a shoal of them running you see people getting out the lures and the spinning rods.

You done a bit of fishing down this end of the world roger?

Tanglerat wrote:
roger de dodger wrote:australian salmon

Is this the one that JPS usually includes in his catch reports from UpSideDownLand?

Yes I had a look at one of his reports and it was what the kiwis call kahawai and what the aussies call salmon that he's referring to!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

thought it was an Australian salmon the first minute i looked a it too! :) cool
saw a video of Billy Connolly catchin them from a beach in Newcastle there - on his "World Tour".
always wanted to have a go at them. fine looking fish, well done

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

savage fighting fish i only came back from new zealand 2 weeks ago!fishing is a whole different ball game over.there,s more boats than ppl in auckland id say!fairplay he,s a beaut was only in welly for a few weeks dont know how you managed to find a safe fishing spot :D

tightlines
fergal

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm

fishy1987 wrote:savage fighting fish i only came back from new zealand 2 weeks ago!fishing is a whole different ball game over.there,s more boats than ppl in auckland id say!fairplay he,s a beaut was only in welly for a few weeks dont know how you managed to find a safe fishing spot :D

tightlines
fergal

Yeah every different every second person is a boatie! Lucky b*stards heading off every weekend filling their boxes up with snapper!

Fishing good up in Auckland species/shore/boat etc?

Found it difficult to get a good spot actually, all the piers are packed with people by 9 o clock in the morning! Got this fella at a beach near where my gf used to work!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:38 pm

didnt have any gear over there, travelling around etc you know how it is!but i managed to get my hands on a boat rod and reel for some rock fishing (not ideal) i had snapper,blue cod,parrot fish,and kahawai from the shore and got out on a boat once luckily i met some lovley ppl over there!had 12 snapper and a beautiful hohn dory and a few decent kahawai!

spots i fished gulf harbour!devonport! and stanmore bay rocks all auckland!but jesus travelling the north island from the coromandel to cape reinga i wish i had some of my own gear an anglers heaven!lots of ppl dropping lines for kingfish and stingrays! willbe out there again definetly just magic!