Fuerteventura

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Fuerteventura

Postby Stan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Going to Fuerteventura mid-November for a week. Anybody have any idea of shore or boat fishing there?
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Re: Fuerteventura

Postby twinkle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:42 pm

havent fished there stan but have fished tennerife, gran canaria, and lanzorote.and have never seen an abundance of marine life like lanzorote.the locals all thought i was some kind of freek :lol: .arrived down to a rock mark in porto del carmen with my trusty beachcaster and proceeded to bait up with whole prawns on a 7/0 up tider casted out about 100 yrds and left it in the rod stand.they were all fishing telescopic rods with floats and bread. took out my spinning rod a small weight with a small o/1 hook three foot off the weight . started retriving the minute it hit the water. i had a fish every cast all about 6 to 7 inches long, different bass type fish, which fought brilliantly.and an angel type fish with a tail like that of a mackeral. super sport after a about 2 hrs i started to get bored, so opened my lure box .again had fish most casts . i also had a big gathering of locals with there buckets begging me for each fish like a gang of seals :lol: any way i was just finishing up when the beachcaster took a big hit i grabbed it and felt the rod bend like never before.this thing took off at speed and the line was zooming all over the place .i thought yes a shore caught tuna. the locals were all shouting to each other excitedlyafter a few minutes i got large splashes on the water about 30 yds out and then it dived again it took 15 minutes to land the fish i nearly s*** my self when the fish hit the surficeit had a hinged jaw with rows of needle teeth it was about 8 lb in weight.its bodywas just like a bass but was green and gold. i hoisted him out and straight away the locals wre all around shouting no no gator gator. i dident need anybody to tell me not to touch it as it had spikes on its back also like a bass. they then told me in broken english it had venom also.so i wrapped it in a cloth and brought it to an english fishmonger who was nextdoor to the pub i was frequenting. he said it was a spider fish and he had never seen one so big nor had he ever heard of one in so close.as the are a deep sea species.i would think futureventura will be like lanzorote.cyrstle clear water with shoals of everything around your feet

For this message the author twinkle has received thanks: 3
Al (Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm), cortaz (Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:10 am), Stan (Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm)
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby Stan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Twinkle,

Sounds great. Hope I can repeat your performance!! :D :D
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby stox 1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Jeez Twinkle, you sure know how to tell a story! You had my heart thumping there! Sounds like a session of a lifetime!
Species 2011: Mackerel, Sandeel, Cod, Coley, Pouting, Ling, Pollock, Cuckoo Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Poor Cod.

Species 2012: Mackerel, Pollock, Coley, Pouting
stox 1
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Kgarr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:54 am

Hi Stan,

http://www.sunnyfuerteventura.com/gonefishing/

a great fishing shop in caleta de fuste. I've been there and the guy who owns the shop (Aram) is a good character, and if you email him now he'll let you know what to expect in November, and what is being caught there at the moment. He's also got anything you might need. I picked up a grauvell telescopic spinning rod off him 4 years ago, still using it now! He sells boat trips, tolling for tuna etc and will put you on the good marks. Enjoy :mrgreen:

For this message the author Kgarr has received thanks:
Stan (Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm)
Kgarr
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby donal domeney » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 am

Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Stan (Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Stan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks lads. Hope to post up a report on my return with loads of fish!! :D :D
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby SlackLiner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Stan,

Just got back form Caleta myself. The place is full of no fishing signs but there is a cracking mark to the left of the beach past the marina where all the locals fish. We used light float gear (5lb line, size 12 hooks) with squid bought from the tackle shop Kgarr mentions above. I also took my flattie fanatic for some light beachcaster action and got some cool looking wrasse species, great fun! Must've had 10+ species and a fish a cast too. We also got fish taken on the retrieve and the locals were live baiting so there's bigger things there too....

I also took a boat trip out. I went straight to the fella mentioned above but cant say he was the nicest tbh. In fact he was kinda rude and didnt seem interested even though I was keen to book a few trips with him. He mentioned about getting a night trip for better fishing but in the end it didnt happen so i booked a normal trip through the harbour just. We trawled and bottom fished which was good fun but nothin to write home about. As Kgarr says, email him before you go and see if you can get him to organise a decent night trip maybe?

Anyway all this is assuming your going to caleta!

Hope this helps

K
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC

For this message the author SlackLiner has received thanks:
Stan (Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:22 pm)
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby Stan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Lads, thanks for all of your help. I look forward to posting a report when I return from hols.
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers