On the beach with the girls

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

On the beach with the girls

Postby JPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 am

Well with both Sue and I having the same day off and Samantha wanting to put her new rod through its paces we decided to head down to 13th and see what we could rustle up. The trip was going to be a relaxed one as Sam had to be back home by 7.00 pm as she was going out and Sue wanted a lazy evening at home as well.

With the fine weather we were a little surprised to fine the Southerly onshore which made it a little cooler on the beach.

( Sue all set to enjoy the afternoon session with Sam and I )

With the high tide just peaking as we arrived the water looked fishy and it wasn't long before Sam had her first fish on the new FMA. It was good to see how the rod handled the 4 oz grip lead and pulley rig with a chicken fillet and small pilchard bait on a 2/0 cirlcle. The fist fish proved to be a very small Flathead and both Sam and I were very happy with the way the rod registered the bite. We had the Shimano Aldrid on the rod with 6 pound Ultima distance and a 40 pound shock leader down to the rig.

( Love the smile on Sam's face with her first fish on the new rod )

As the tide progressed we started to get a few more Salmon and it was good just fishing with the
light outfits and thin line. I was using my Tip Tornado Ultra Lite matched with the little Penn Squall 12 and had that loaded with 10 pound line but running a fifty pound shock leader. The rig was the same as Sam's with the 2/0 circle pulley and 4 oz grip lead.

( A small Salmon on the TTUL and Squall 12 )

It was a real pleasure seeing the smile on Sam's face each time she had a bite or hooked into a fish and it was also good to see how the combination handled the fish with ease . Her casting wasn't as good as she would have liked and she has now decided that she need to head down the park for a bit more practice . With her own rod and reel she is a lot happier as she can do it easily on her afternoons off work.

( Another smiling face )

Sue was true to her word and came out with us but was comfortably camped on the chair with one of her books and was quite happy to let the two of us do the fishing.

( The two girls enjoying the beach in their own ways )

The fish were consistent as the tide peaked and started to turn but from past experience I new that it would start to slacken off after about the second hour of the change . Still the bites up to that time were consistent and even though none of the fish were very big they did provide a good afternoon relaxing fishing.

( Sam and dad )

( Conditions whilst sunny weren't as warm as expected )

I the past we had seen plenty of weed on 13th but it wasn't too bad today with only me taking a little on a few casts. It was pleasing as further up the beach when we first checked it out it was quite heavy and we were expecting the worst . Thankfully it didn't prove to be a problem at all.

( I like my fish with Salad :D )

( Sam and the FMA with another Salmon )

All in all it was a great afternoon and a great way to trial the rod, to say that Sam was happy with the way the rod performed for her and the way it balanced up would be a mild understatement as she has been waiting for me to put this rod together for her for awhile.

( Light weight and well balanced outfits are what my lady's want )

We left the beach at 5.00 pm but Sam is already wanting to head down again next weekend for another session and looking forward to a few bigger fish to really load up her outfit.
All in all a brilliant afternoon with 2 on my Ladies :D
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers