mauritius

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

just looking for any info regarding fishing in mauritius, is'nt a whole lot of info on the net but i have found some of the species i would encounter from the shores, barracuda and GT's been just a couple. anyone any hands on experience with these ,lures ,rods reels etc
fly out next sat cheers

Re: mauritius

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:48 pm

my ma and da are there as i write haha. ive done quite a bit of fishing over there. to be honest its overated and the fishing is pretty poor. there are a few spots off the shore for gt's but they average out at around 10lbs. you need a boat to access most of the good marks. (islets close to the main reef which encircles the island are the best spots) any rock marks with a bit of depth and a good swell should throw them up. they like it rough) there are a few bonefish about. baracuda might as well be extinct to be honest. there are plenty of small black grouper inshore and lizard fish which will take small plugs worked over rough ground. best fun i had over there was fishing really light for tangs, angelfish, wrasse, mullet and small morays.

if you spend big bucks you can have a shot on the big game boats, chance of blue, black and stripped marlin, sailfish, dorado, bonito, wahoo, skipjack tuna and yellow fin. it can be slow out there too.

what hotel are you staying in?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:42 pm

cheers for that eric ,i like the sound of ten pound gts and bonefish too 8)
staying in the legends up north .most of the info on the net is for big game which i dont think ill bother with, im more into the surf fishing .how safe is it to kayak out to the reefs and what type of sharks might eat me :shock:
also wondering would there be any point in bait fishing off the beaches at night

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 pm

legends is a nice hotel. le morne would be one of the best spots for gts down in the south west, that miles from you sadly, there is good fishing along the east of island too. legands is up near coin de mire, theres plenty of places to try near there for big gts if you get out to the islets, but the beaches are poor enough, the rocks by the hotel will prduce sweetlips, groupers, lizard fish and snapper on small plugs. bonefish are rare as hens teeth, you need flat sandy shallow lagoons for them. bring a range of small shallow divers all the way up to big beefy surface poppers for your lure fishing needs. have a rod with a bit of grunt i believe the mauritiun record for gt is 75kg. :lol:

for bait, i found the snails located in rock pools, think their trochus snails to really good for the small stuff. if you head to the local fish market pick up some calimari and bonito fillets. at night you get small snappers (capitan fish), goatfish, small morays and if your lucky jacks on bait.

kayaking is safe enoug but exercise caution dont go too close to the reef because its very shallow (less then 5 feet at times one mile out) once you go over the reefs it drops off dramticaly in the space of a few hundred yards. the swell can be treacherous too especially at this time of year.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm

thanks again eric ,keep an eye out for a report :)

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Ack, I've just noticed this. I have an angling contact out there, if you pick this up in time I'll pass on details to you.