Costa Teguise, Lanzarote

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi all
Just spent ten days at Sands Beach resort in Costa Teguise.
Took along a Savage Gear Road Runner 12-40gm spinning rod,assorted plugs/lures, a few 2 & 3 hook flappers,bubble floats,selection of hooks and weights.
Managed to grab an hous fishing off the pier at the back of the resort complex most days.
Met a local on the first day there who advised to fish the last two hours of the rising tide.

Started out with a kilty spinner for about 1/2 hour with no takes.
Switched over to a bubble float and bread flake on size 6 hooks and was immediately catching a lot of small fish.
There were ornate wrasse by the bucket load and they could strip a bait in no time.
tried smaller hooks but only had barbless ones with me which the fish shook themselves off with ease.

plenty of mullet in this area but all were small (around 1lb for the biggest)
They only took the bread whilst it was floating,once it began to sink the other fish moved in very quickly.
Only caught one mullet but at least that breaks the blank for this year (4 trips to strangford lough before I went on hols!)

Caught the odd wee bream of different varieties and these put up a good scrap for their size.

Bought some calamari and prawns out of a supermarket freezer for a few euros.
The prawns came off the hook too easy but the calamari fished well with all the species barr the mullet going for it.
I would recommend either the calamari or bread for the main baits if you are going.

Bought a 10euro telescopic rod and reel for the wee one but she was more interested in building sand castles
so I used it as it was lighter than my spinning rod and was good craic for the mini species.

Went to a deep water mark about a 15 minute walk north from the complex.
The wind was so strong coming onshore it was difficult to cast more than around 40yards with a heavy spinner.
Stuck it out for an hour but went home with nothing.
There was a 15ft swell crashing into the rocks I was on
I would have loved to have my beachcaster onthis bit of shore as it looked like it would've been very productive.

The weather for the duration of the trip was very windy (more than normal according to the locals)
and quite overcast but we had a brilliant holiday and will go back again (this was my second visit here!)
Sands Beach rules!
CKY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Costa Teguise, Lanzarote

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Nice. That bream looks a lot like a Dassie. (Doubt it is, though!)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:05 am

The bottom one is a Dassie (also known as a white bream) and is the one that fought the best.
I had size 2 circle hooks which worked well for the bream types of fish,just wish I had taken a smaller size in them.
A few more pics......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 am

Nice one loadsa diff species, congrats on the mullet they are VERY timid to a bait over there, think it's due to folk throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them. But sounds like you had it sorted down to a T over there. :D

I stayed in sands beach last year and the year before that and loved it also. We will definately be going back in the future. Just back from tenerife and we also had overcast for a number of days. Think there was more sun at home man, such is life :cry:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Cky,
Really enjoyed reading this post im off on holiday soon and im torn between the Veals 4sss and the Savage Gear Roadrunner. Would you recomend the rod? Did you just float and spin with it or did you do some ledgering aswell? Im looking for an all round travel rod. Also what reel do you have paired with it?
Cheers
Pastyfarian

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 am

Hi there

Yes we were unlucky with the weather but had a great holiday anyway.

Patsy,I cannot comment on the 4sss rod but I love the little road runner.
I had a ring crack on it which savage gear sent me a replacement immediately and I repaired it myself.
It is a very light rod and I have it paired to a Penn Captiva 4000 reel with 1 spool of 3olb braid and 1 spool of 10lb braid.
I used it for spinning,float fishing and ledgering a 2 hook flapper with a 2oz weight.
It can cast over its rated value but I wouldn't go too far over it,just lobbed the flapper out.
Biggest fish I've had on it is an 8lb pike which it handled no problems.
Hope this helps
Regards
CKY :D

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 am

Nice report, been there a few times and when you put on a mask and snorkel and have a look the place is alive with fish of all types..

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Pastyfarian wrote:Hi Cky,
Really enjoyed reading this post im off on holiday soon and im torn between the Veals 4sss and the Savage Gear Roadrunner. Would you recomend the rod? Did you just float and spin with it or did you do some ledgering aswell? Im looking for an all round travel rod. Also what reel do you have paired with it?
Cheers
Pastyfarian

I have the Veals 4sss grand little rod.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Nice golden grey mullet....

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 am

i thought it was a thick lipped mullet,
never caught a golden grey before!

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Think the first one is a fish called Sarpa Salpa, saw a big school of them while i was fishing in cyprus, The meat around the head is said to contain psyco-tropic chemicals, cheaper than a few pints anyway!

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

very nice selection there.there like fish ud put in to ur tank :mrgreen:

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:27 pm

nice fish